Singer 201 in a No 48 Cabinet

Old 03-15-2023, 10:15 AM

Default Singer 201 in a No 48 Cabinet

This was on my local craigslist for $25, couldn't pass it up, a 201 in a No 48 cabinet (I had to look that up). It came with a few extras as pictured. The wiring is fried to a crisp, so everything is apart right now, gotta pick up some more heat shrink tubing.

The table needs some work, and my UPS tracking tells me it will arrive Saturday before noon at daselby's for one of his beautiful restoration jobs (I sure hope he's paying attention)!

https://selbysewingmachines.blogspot.com/

Just kidding, I'm on my own tackling the furniture and will have to push myself out of my comfort zone.
Attached Thumbnails 20230311_181146.jpg   20230311_180745.jpg  
Old 03-15-2023, 10:19 AM

The cabinet is a bit rough, but the machine looks great. I'm not a lot of help. My mother did beautiful furniture restoration, but like her green thumb I didn't inherit that gene.
Old 03-15-2023, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by JoeJr View Post
....The table needs some work, and my UPS tracking tells me it will arrive Saturday before noon at daselby's for one of his beautiful restoration jobs (I sure hope he's paying attention)!...
ROFL
Great score!!! I don't remember seeing a Greist blind hemmer in real life.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Old 03-16-2023, 05:25 AM

Good score! I only have one word for you - Rocklers.com.

bkay
Old 03-16-2023, 08:42 AM

rockler.com is some serious word working equipment. By pushing myself "out of my comfort zone" I was thinking more of actually opening my eyes while I splashed things on the wood.
Old 04-18-2023, 03:27 PM

I've made some progress on the cabinet, first time taking a sander to any furniture. I sanded the top closed and then opened, and used Howard's Restore A Finish everywhere else, with steel wool. I sprayed a little clear coat on the top closed and the front of the doors. While messing around with the flip down drawer underneath inside, I found the original manual, sans cover, stuck underneath, so I was happy about that.

The machine and motor are apart (as far as care to take them), but not making much progress.
Attached Thumbnails 20230418_164103.jpg   20230418_164127.jpg  
Old 04-18-2023, 05:52 PM
Power Poster

Wow, that looks fantastic! It totally looks like a different cabinet now!
Old 04-18-2023, 06:49 PM
Power Poster

You are doing a good job on it.
Old 04-19-2023, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by JoeJr View Post
I've made some progress on the cabinet, first time taking a sander to any furniture. I sanded the top closed and then opened, and used Howard's Restore A Finish everywhere else, with steel wool. I sprayed a little clear coat on the top closed and the front of the doors. While messing around with the flip down drawer underneath inside, I found the original manual, sans cover, stuck underneath, so I was happy about that.

The machine and motor are apart (as far as care to take them), but not making much progress.
Wow. that cabinet is fantastic. I have one of those that needs the veneer re-glued. The shop was too cold this winter to work out there, so maybe it's a summer resto-project.

Nice work.
Old 04-19-2023, 05:18 AM

The veneer on the back of this cabinet is a mess, it's all wavy and loose about 8-10" from the top down, not sure what to do with it. I was given the suggestion of peeling it off, sanding the surface, and staining.