Singer 201K Light bulb

Old 04-12-2018, 09:37 AM

Default Singer 201K Light bulb

I have a late 1950s Singer 201k (one of those brown beasts) and the light bulb works but it isn't very bright.

Can I replace it with a modern LED (If I can find something that will fit?) or equivalent?

Thanks

HettyB
Old 04-12-2018, 11:18 AM

Yes, I have fitted a LED bulb in my 201, I have the beige aluminium version too. With the basic singer lamp you can max out on watts and length of LED bulbs, just as long as it's narrow enough. If it is the bajonet type it's B15 (no threading), this one should fit. I had to file down the tiny knobs on the socket every so slightly, because the were a bit wider and rounder than the B15 ususally is, I guess there's slighly differences in production, because some bulbs go in place with out any fuzz. The bulbs I have received have the LED patches set in as sort of clear silcone type rubber, a bit like aspic. I haven't found much in local stores yet, and I wanted those with lots of yellow patches and max Wattage, but I found on ebay.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:58 AM

Just thought I would update you (and anyone else who might be interested) - I bought these the other day off Amazon and they work very well. The bayonet fitting did not require any adjustments and the light is so much better.
[h=1]Bonlux 2-Packs 220V Ba15d LED 4W Sewing Machine Bayonet Bulb Warm White 3000K Double Connect Ba15d SBC LED Bulb 35W Halogen Replacement (4 Watt, Warm White) [/h]
Old 09-13-2018, 11:12 AM

I shall order a couple of those, thanks for the tip. I found mine on ebay, they work fine, but as mentioned the small prodtruding needed a bit of grinding down before they turned into place.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:44 PM

Thank you for the info! I find as I get older my eyes require brighter light to sew and the LED bulbs will be a great help! It can be challenging for me at night when I'm sewing black fabric with black thread.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by costumegirl View Post
Thank you for the info! I find as I get older my eyes require brighter light to sew and the LED bulbs will be a great help! It can be challenging for me at night when I'm sewing black fabric with black thread.
That can be a challenge even for someone with good eyesight. My long arm has a fluorescent light that makes sewing black on black much easier to see.

Cari
Old 12-21-2022, 12:30 AM

If you find an analogue of a light bulb for this device, then most likely it will be possible to change the old one. However, I know this device that you are talking about and unfortunately I have never seen light bulbs that can replace an old light bulb being. At first I thought that you could replace the old lamp with smart light bulbs, but they do not fit the wiring diagram and will not work. You need to take your Singer 201k to the repair and ask them to fix your light bulb and make it shine brighter. This can also be done if you do not find an adequate replacement for your old light bulb. I hope you succeed, good luck friend!