Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Singer 221 metal bobbins

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Candace,
    I put the link to the FW bobbin page at Sew Classic in the 5th post of this thread. I guess sometimes people just skip the existing responses and start commenting.

And I was wrong, there is another machine that can use the FW bobbins. The Kenmore 120-491 uses a bobbin that's so close to the FW bobbin they are interchangeable.

Joe
    Joe, I have an ancient Bernina, model # 117 K or L, that uses similar bobbins. I have been told they are interchangeable but have never tried because I don't want to screw up any machine trying to test out this theory.

Chris
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Blog Entries
    If you have a Country Stitches around there, they might sell them. They do here in my town. Take your bobbin with you if you do go there, make sure you get the right thing. As Joe said, not a 66. Takes special bobbin
    My stash keeps me in stitches!

Deanna,
    I have a FW 221 and I found this site on the internet. It is called www.april1930s.com
    I ordered bobbins and they were very prompt in shipping them to me. I think they were between $6-8 for 8 or 10 bobbins. Or there is a sewing shop in Flint called All Sew that as FW supplies. I bough my 1/4 in foot there. that's not too far from you and it was easy to get to. I live in Romeo so it isn't too far. Deanna I'll pm you and maybe I can tell you a little about the guild I belong to.
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by MimiBug123 View Post
    Joe, I must have gotten the bobbin tins mixed up. I got another one out of my 66 tin and it wouldn't EVEN work in the featherweight. It worked in the Spartan, but not the FW. Sorry for my bad! I'm a dingbat (according to DH), but I can tell a FW from a 99!
    MimiBug,
    Not to worry. Things get mixed up all the time.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    Joe,

As usual I'm out of town until Friday. I'll look for those H bobbins then and PM you.

Cathy
    Okee Dokee.

Joe

I bought 221, 301 bobbins in a package at Ben Franklin store in Ripon Wisc. They work perfectly in my 301. Not expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottage Dee View Post
    I just got a 221....there is only one bobbin with it. Can any of you direct me to where I can buy more?
    TIA,
    Deanna (Cottage Dee)
    sew-classic.com has all the bobbins, belts and all manner of parts for Featherweights and other vintage machines....
    good prices and service as well as prompt delivery....

I just order from www.Shop.Sew-Classic.com for my Mom's Singer 201. The only drawback is you have a minimum order of $3.50. The part she needed was a bobbin wheel that cost $0.49 So I got her some needles.

I just ordered a bobbin wheet tire for my Mom' Singer 201 from www.Shop.Sew-Classic.com. Very inexpensive.

The bobbin tyres and bobbins get cheaper as you order more. In my last order I had 10 Singer size bobbin tyres. Plus a bunch of spool pegs and other goodies.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by MimiBug123 View Post
    I think it uses a regular class 66 bobbin. You can find those just about anywhere--even WalMart.
    No it doesn't! The class 66 bobbins are too tall and too small. It uses a 221 class bobbin. Do NOT buy them from Wal-mart or JoAnn's.
    I buy mine from either of these websites:www.sew-classic.com or 221parts.com

Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
    No it doesn't! The class 66 bobbins are too tall and too small. It uses a 221 class bobbin. Do NOT buy them from Wal-mart or JoAnn's.
    I buy mine from either of these websites:www.sew-classic.com or 221parts.com
    purplefiend,
    Go back a page or two and check out my pictorial on bobbins and FWs. I beat you to the "No it doesn't" part. LOL

Joe

Joe,

Your pictures of the bobbins are so clear and well marked. You are a wonderful asset to this board!

Thank you for all of your contributions.

Dayle

There are many places to buy the bobbins - JoAnn's, Hancocks and online. I like to have a lot of bobbins so I can pre-wind them with the colors I use most. They're not expensive, either. Enjoy your machine!

Joe,

Send me a PM with your snail mail address. I'll have three bobbins to sent to you.
    Do you need the wrench that is for the presser foot attaching nut? I attached a picture of it.

Cathy
    Name:  kenmore 120.490.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  116.7 KB

Joe,

As usual I'm out of town until Friday. I'll look for those H bobbins then and PM you.

Cathy
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Joe,

Send me a PM with your snail mail address. I'll have three bobbins to sent to you.
    Do you need the wrench that is for the presser foot attaching nut? I attached a picture of it.

Cathy
    Name:  kenmore 120.490.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  116.7 KB
    Cathy,

Thanks and a PM is on it's way to you.

Joe

You have to be careful when buying "featherweight" bobbins on eBay. I bought some; although they look identical to real 221 bobbins, they do not work. I loaded one up and tried to sew but couldn't make a single stitch. Upon closer examination, the bobbin extended past the bobbin case ever so slightly...not more than 1/32 inch. Then I switched to the original bobbin that came with my machine and it sewed perfectly. Since then, I found some more original bobbins.

happyquiltmom,

I have bobbins made from the early 1900s that were machined from on piece on a lathe and used in the Singer 9W-7 machines, that work in my FW. I've got original FW bobbins too. We've also got some that did come from eBay years ago and they work.

There is many many variations possible due to tolerance variations.

And then .... here is a reason many things made overseas do not fit American made products properly.

A little story to illustrate my point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-4

That is part of the problem of using foreign made parts in American made sewing machines. Sometimes the manufacturers do not make them to inch specifications, but they round them to the nearest millimeter. So because of that, a lot of times they are too big.

Joe

I chatted with a well-known 221 man from Florida while at Paducah this spring. He says there are NO PLASTIC bobbins made for the FW. That is true. I have searched most of the Ebay sites for some. I was able to obtain 50 metal bobbins from Manny Saler in New Jersey. They have been wound on a mechanical bobbin winder like the one from Wal-Mart and have been working flawlessly. No, they are not a 66, or 15. They are only used on the 221 FW and the 301 Singer. Buy the best you can afford. Never skimp on bobbins. Sew-Classic.com is a good source for good quality at a reasonable price. They ship fast and Jennie knows her stuff in case you have more questions. Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2