Singer 27 decals

Old 01-07-2021, 04:09 PM

Default Singer 27 decals

Is there a difference mechanically between a 1896 singer 27 with Phoenix decals vs. one with pheasant decals?

My son got me a treadle for Christmas. It works. The coffin top is missing. A drawer pull is missing. And there is no center drawer. All of those are available on eBay.

However, the paint and decals on the machine are in terrible condition. I am considering stripping, repainting, and new decals. It has the Phoenix decals, but the pheasant ones are so pretty. Would it be wrong to put the pheasant on instead?
Old 01-07-2021, 05:43 PM

The differences in model 27s are due to mostly minor changes or updates, not decals. Millions of Sphynx 27s were made, no one will miss one.

The pheasant decals are gorgeous. Use what you love!
Old 01-07-2021, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Feathers-N-Fur View Post
Is there a difference mechanically between a 1896 singer 27 with Phoenix decals vs. one with pheasant decals?...
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you meant Sphinx decals (perhaps you have auto correct). According to http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...ic-decals.html Pheasant was used on 15; 27; 128 from c.1890 to c.1915. The Sphinx was used only on the 27 from the 1890s to 1950s However, http://needlebar.org/nbwiki/index.ph...ine_Decoration doesn't mention the 128.

I like the Pheasant decals better, but I have three of the Sphinx 27s.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 01-07-2021, 09:13 PM

Default Thank you

Yes I meant Sphinx. Good to know I’m ok doing what I want. I’ve never done this before.