Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 27 treadle my new pride >

Singer 27 treadle my new pride

Singer 27 treadle my new pride

Old 10-09-2020, 10:53 AM

Default Singer 27 treadle my new pride

I wanted a pre 1900 singer treadly for a longer time and finding one isnt the issue having it send over is (see my other topic on shipping a treadly).
So locally these are for sale, but mostly the later ones which doesnt appeal to me as much as the older ones do.

So one day i spotted one in a neighbouring country and yes they where willing to ship to me which was hiring courier company doing the pickup and that arrived last week.
The true beauty for me in this machine was that it was owned by the same family its entire life and due to a move for a smaller house it needed to go.

Im over the moon with my model 27 ? singer treadle machine.

Also the part that drives the treadle base and the belt wheel is made of wood and have a patent lettering in it so i assume it is original.

Now it standing here in my bedroom i noticed a few things and i hope any of you can help out providing the answers im looking for.
Here goes.

Is it a model 27 (serial 12 599 499)
What type of shuttle do i need and are the ones from china any good or must i have a original one.

I noticed that the base was rather too shiny and i suspect it has been painted somewhere in its life (i have asked the previous owner and im awaiting there answer).
if it was a repaint that what to do as i want to preserve the machine so making it run again so a thourough clean for the machine and a revamp for the woodwork, by removing the shellac and use howards and carnauba wax to get the shine back in to it and seeing the beautifull red oak.

No the state it is in was the effort of 125 years of use, but the red oak is not appealing to the eye as this dark colour is seeing everywhere and i have no idea how this became. Is it accumulation of oil, wax or ?

Any tips on what to do.

I like to make the machine complete with a original manual are these to get of should i go for a copy (i dont like white papers, old yellow copy would be nice).

Looking forward to your advice and thanks in advance.

Last edited by 45ac13c; 10-09-2020 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:57 AM

Some more pix

Old 10-09-2020, 02:23 PM

Nice looking table I have one of these tables also (not as in good condition as yours but it is used often)...i've not seen the wooden pitman rod that often. Enjoy.

As for the shuttle...i'd always recommend an original for sure and they are not hard to come by either. I have an original spare one available i believe
Without seeing the table up close, i would say it has been re-stained with a modern finish and the old finish is long gone. The clean polished handles are a clue
Parts are readily available for this machine....lots around to choose from

Last edited by Hooligan; 10-09-2020 at 02:30 PM.