Singer 301A and 401A

Old 07-23-2010, 10:36 AM

Joyce...I was raised in Bay City!! Small world :)

I don't know how old your GD's are but have you shown them how to sew or use the knitting machine? You never know what might spark their interest. Do they know how to knit or crochet? Have you taken them to your LQS with you to look at fabric or to a class? I wouldn't rush into getting rid of anything yet. It's such a shame they don't teach these basic skills in school any more.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:30 AM

I am closing this topic. I am keeping my girls. Thanks for all the info.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:40 PM

Yea! I'm glad you're not getting rid of the "girls" :)
Old 07-23-2010, 04:32 PM

Joyce and retired2pa: it sure is a small world. I was raised in Clare and worked in Midland.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:18 PM

Hi retiredtopa and Suzanne. Well, I'm ready for you to come back home now. It is so good to meet you both. I will be looking forward to your posts.
As for my kids...I have 5, the youngest is 50, the oldest 58. My youngest GS is 15, the oldest GD is 39. All my girls got a sewing machine for their 16th birthdays. They all sewed their own clothes. They just lost interest. Our family home & land will be left to stay in the family. Supposedly, everyone will be able to use the workroom whenever. I have over 2000 lbs of yarn they can knit up.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:38 AM

Suzanne...we lived in Victoria, TX for a few years before moving back to PA to be closer to family. Did you work at Dow?

Joyce...that's a LOT of yarn!!
Old 07-24-2010, 06:21 AM

Well, Suzanne, you know how we quilters are always looking for a bargain. I bought a ton (actual) of yarn on cones from Silk City Fibers. The price was terrific, the downside was it was their choice. I was selling knitting machines at that time, as well as giving lessons. I always share those kind of deals with those who are interested. I also paid a whole lot more for company brand names that went out of business when 3rd world co. sweaters hit the stores for less than I could buy the yarn.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by retired2pa
Suzanne...we lived in Victoria, TX for a few years before moving back to PA to be closer to family. Did you work at Dow?

Joyce...that's a LOT of yarn!!
No, I worked at TriCity Plastics about 3 blocks from Dow but my dad worked there for 32-33 years before he retired. Victoria TX is a long way from here. I'm just north of Fort Worth.

Sorry Debbie, but glad you're keeping your girls.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:46 PM

Hi Retired to PA,

The stitch length knob on my 301A is the reverse/tack. Slide it all the way up to the top, that is reverse. It doesn't say it on the machine, but it does in the owner's manual.

Do you need a copy of the manual? I found it in PDF and can email it.

The light switch is up under the light hood near the bulb, just reach under like you are going to touch the base of the bulb, and you should feel a small twist knob, give it a turn.

I hope the knob hasn't been lost!

Good luck,

Aardie.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:56 PM

Hey Billy,

What do you think of the sound a 301 makes when it is running? I have never heard a gear driven Singer before. Should I be hearing the gears? I took off the top plate and bottom service plate, checked to see the gears look like they are meshed properly, not too loose or tight, cleaned off most of the old grease, put on new, not so much as would sling around at high speed. It sounds smoother, but still a bit like a wind up toy on steroids.

This one is 1951 date. I could tell by the top plate screws that it has been serviced sometime in the past 60 years, but the gears and inside look suspiciously clean of built up gunk.

Don't know a thing, just asking.

Aardie.