Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 301a or New Mechanical Machine? >

Singer 301a or New Mechanical Machine?

Singer 301a or New Mechanical Machine?

Old 04-21-2021, 08:45 AM

Thanks @WIChix ! I'll keep that in mind. I've bookmarked a number of great blog posts about restoring these, so I'm nervous/excited.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by WIChix View Post
Congratulations on your "new" 301!
A few tips:1) my 301 is thirstier than many of my other machines, and likes to be oiled every 4-6 hours of sewing. 2) you'll find the 301 has an aluminum housing, the magnetic seam guide will not stick. The needle plate should be marked for 1/8" increments, and is very accurate. 3) it is worth it to open the foot controller, clean out dust and lint, and inspect the wire insulation.
I use a magnetic seam guide on my 301a and its sticks well. It sticks to the throat plate not the housing of the machine.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by jennigens View Post
Thanks @WIChix ! I'll keep that in mind. I've bookmarked a number of great blog posts about restoring these, so I'm nervous/excited.
Isn't that a great feeling?! Congratulations!

You'll do fine if you're watching the videos/etc. and asking questions. I even learned to clean the carbon stacks in the foot pedal. It's such a great machine. Many happy hours ahead for you!

I do trust the markers on the throat plate, but I prefer to have the physical guide rather than constantly checking against the very fine line...just a personal preference.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Cheshirepat View Post
I do trust the markers on the throat plate, but I prefer to have the physical guide rather than constantly checking against the very fine line...just a personal preference.
I'm the same. I always use the magnetic seam guide on my 301 and FW. Its just easier for me.

Old 04-22-2021, 03:35 AM

Congratulations on your new 301! I own two of them (both 2-tone beige) and would not part with either one. I sew on mine almost every day, and when we go up to the lake, I have one there, too! Prices on these machines have gone up a lot in recent years as their reliable reputation has spread in the quilting community.

As the others have said, keep your lint brush and try-flo oil nearby, and you'll be good to go. That machine will outlast you and be going strong for the generation that will follow us! I did replace my foot pedal with a newer style and don't miss the "hot" foot.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:21 AM

Thanks to everyone! The replacement pieces and lubricant I ordered came in, so I was able to finish prepping her last night. I'm about to cut out a new quilt and can't wait to get sewing!
Old 04-29-2021, 12:27 PM

Such a great feeling! Hope it's everything you hope it to be!
Old 04-29-2021, 07:12 PM

How fun! I searched for a couple of years for a black 301 and never found one, so I settled for beige. Beautiful stitch, strong motor - took a lot of cleaning inside to unstick the frozen parts and get it clean, but it was worth the work.

Have fun with yours!
Old 05-06-2021, 03:22 AM

As far as your Bernina, why not just repair it. Actually, it sounds like you just need to adjust the foot pressure. But if you decide to get another machine, it's a no-brainer - the 301A is far superior to any mechanical machine today. I actually didn't realize they made mechanical machines now, but I suppose the cheap ones are mechanical. If so, DO NOT buy one! You're just going to be throwing it out when it breaks, and that won't be too long. Also, they are lightweight and bounce around, not good!
Old 05-07-2021, 09:40 AM

I have seven 301's and love them all. Prices are all over the place. I live in WY and I'm always looking for good deal to clean them up and rehome to others. You can get the 1/4 foot for it and walking foot to fit the narrow feed dogs. Have fun and enjoy i!