Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Singer 301A

Does anyone have one of these machines or know anything about it? I have an opportunity to purchase one that sews great and in the original case. It is like a featherweight yet weighs a few pounds more. I have been told that you can drop the feed dogs for free motion quilting and you cannot on a featherweight. Would like some opinions before making this purchase?

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Scarlett, this is a great machine!! How much are they asking for it??

I have one and it works very well. I guess it would depend on the price they are asking. They are much less expensive than the Featherweights, but only a little heavier and can do more.

I have one and love it!! She's the big sister to the featherweight. Sews pretty much through anything thrown at her, whereas my new machines laugh at me when I want them to sew even velcro!.. I'd get it in a heartbeat providing the price is right!

I would say to get it if it is working order...good machine...not a featherweight but really good.

Blog Entries
    I have one in a cabinet and LOVE IT

I would buy one! A real tank is what I hear from my friend. Yep, it is on my agenda!

Blog Entries
    You should go for it. These are great machines. My mom has one. It's what I learned to sew on. Recently I had to do a repair for my mom and wondered how the machine would sew. Bet it hasn't been used or serviced in 30 years. It sewed like a dream.

The great thing about the old Singers is that when you drop the feed dogs you can put a regular short shank darning foot on and do free motion. I use the same one that I used on my newer Singer and my Brother. If this machine is like my vintage Singer there's a thumb screw underneath that you loosen to drop the feed dogs.

Blog Entries
    I have one and I love mine. I would get it if the price is right.

I bought one a few months ago, I just love it.

She is asking $150 for machine, original case in good condition and attachments-is that a good price?

I would buy it. Not sure about the price though? Sounds fair to me, but I am sure someone knows more!

It is a little high I think. I guess if you know her and the machine is in top shape I would concider it. About $100 would be closer to what I would pay.

I agree. $100 is more what you want to pay. I have several 301s, portable and some in cabinets. The one that I go to all the time is in a cabinet and is the two-toned mocha colored one and it sews like a dream. I machine quilted my first machine quilted quilt on it! I was new to machine quilting, so it's not the best job, but good enough!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love my 301. Depends how badly you want it. I don't think the price is way out there, since it has the case and attachments. You might see if she will come down some. Look on e-bay. Depending on the color, prices vary too. Black is the most expensive usually.

Blog Entries
    I bought a 301A with the original case on Ebay, with shipping included it only cost me $65.00. Very nice machine. I am going to buy a darning foot and use it after Christmas.

A bit high, but if it is in great condition, I would consider it! Maybe offer a bit less!

I paid $75, which included shipping, off Ebay.

I think the price totally depends on the condition. Of course some of us seem to find extraordinary deals out there, but that is not always the case. I have a 301 that I got on Ebay and it was around 95 bucks, I think, with shipping. I do love it, homely little thing that she is. But she does love to work. I have free motioned several quilts with her and she just purrs along.

Quote Originally Posted by scarlett
    She is asking $150 for machine, original case in good condition and attachments-is that a good price?
    It seems high to me. I got one last month on craigslist with original case and accessories for $70. But, worth like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. You could always make an offer. Can't hurt to try. Hope you enjoy it if you decide to go for it.

Kas
    Mine was $85 with the Art Deco cabinet. And it came with all the attachments and the manual, too. But I love her.

dose any one ha a cabnet for a 301 singer id; be interestered suzieQ

Did you end up getting it? I don't think the price is too high. It's a great sewing machine. I have just finished making a log cabin quilt on my 2 tone 301 and I'm in love :mrgreen: with this machine! It just hums merrily along. I'm also working on some 'crumb' quilt squares and no matter how small of a scrap I am working with, it just zips right through without being eaten by the machine!

I have one and I love it, I prefer it over my other machines The price is kind of high to me, but I only paid 25 for mine and it came with the case and tons of attachments.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast