Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 31-15: How far can I go before I get myself in trouble? >

Singer 31-15: How far can I go before I get myself in trouble?

Singer 31-15: How far can I go before I get myself in trouble?

Old 10-17-2015, 02:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Miriam,

You got a link to this "Finish Line" stuff????

Joe
I just go to the bike store.....
Old 10-17-2015, 03:39 PM

Yeah, the green one is their heaviest oil, to stand up to all kinds of wet and salty conditions. The gold bottle is the super smooth one, with teflon and nano particle what-not, it's not the same. If you ever get a bottle of their stuff again, go for the gold bottle It's not a big deal though.

I think the original Singer oil must have been something like SAE 15, maybe 10. I have bought very basic generic SAE oil 10 and it was lighter than Singers. The old oil wasn't completly clear and transparent, it had more of a amber color. I think what they sell these days is completely clear and colorless, at least some, I suspect a bit lighter. It's hard to compare basic mineral oil with their synthetic versions, since the syntetic types tend to be a bit gel like in their viscosity. Some heavy duty chain oils for bikes would be horror in a sewing machine, the very basic ones are often spot on the origial Singer oil. I just go on and on here, but I go for the light synthetic versions with teflon.

Last edited by Mickey2; 10-17-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:51 PM

After a week and a half with the flu I'm getting back on my 31-15. I couldn't find a better thread to ask about it than this one, so excuse me for hijacking the thread. I have my machine working very freely aqnd timing looks to be pretty much ok. I haven't tried sewing yet as I've taken the table apart and I'm also waiting for a new tensioner to get here. The think I'm needing help with now is the motor clutch. I have one of the older clutch's with the 3 motor pulleys and a beveled pusher that push's the three pulleys against the machine pulley. I don't think it is adjusted just right and it is hard to get the clutch to disengage. Are there any threads on the group that get into adjusting clutches are anyone that has experience in this area.

Do I really need to start a thread for my 31-15 machine are is jumping on other 31-15 threads acceptable.
Dave
Old 01-16-2016, 04:26 PM
Power Poster

Dave, you are just fine. I have not seen a 3 belt clutch. Mine all have only had one belt. Pictures?
Where is CD? If you pm him he might know more than anybody else around here on that one.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:34 PM

Thanks Miriam, I think I will post a few pictures and PM CD with a link to the post.
Attached Thumbnails 1sdc15598.jpg   1sdc15603.jpg   1sdc15605.jpg   1sdc15607.jpg  
Old 01-20-2016, 06:15 AM

Well Miriam, I haven't got a reply from CD so I'm asking if anyone else has had any dealings with this type clutch. I'm thinking of taking it apart to clean and see what I can find out about why the clutch is so tight. I'm open to any suggestion before I take it apart.
Thanks
David Hair
Old 01-20-2016, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

It looks like it has to do with speed. I wonder if it was on a line of machines all driven by one motor? CD left. I think he went over to the new Victorian sweat shop forum check with SteveH for a link. If it were mine I would clean off dried up oil and re-oil. Test and see what it does.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:58 AM

Miriam,

From the way the motor was mounted to the table top I also think it may have been line driven. Even though it had a Singer motor the way it was mounted was to say the least hap hazard mount, not a factory job.
David
Old 01-20-2016, 08:51 AM

I too have a clutch motor like that on the first industrial machine I bought. It is the best clutch motor for control. The machine is from a factory my uncle worked in and he brought it home for my aunt. Not sure but I think the handy work is done by my aunt after uncle died. I have the three pulley's attached to the table and the motor is attached to the 2x4 on the base. Machine belt on the machine is on the largest pulley and the clutch motor belt is to the middle. If you need pictures let me know. This is the only one that was set up that way but as I said, the best one with clutch motor for control. Good Luck!
Lisa
Old 01-20-2016, 09:40 AM

Lisa,

Do you know if there is a clutch pad or if the clutch is metal to metal.

David