Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Singer 328k (How does this happen?) >
  • Singer 328k (How does this happen?)

• Singer 328k (How does this happen?)

Old 04-04-2014, 07:17 PM

>The 328K is a belt driven, internal motor machine.
    >It can be treadled as Miriam says.
    >It is a ZZ machine that requires the ZZ cam to be in place to do the ZZ stitch or any of 30 some odd other patterns.
    >The cams used are the Singer black flat cams.
    >If the ZZ or another cam is not in place and the stitch width lever is moved to the wide side from the SS position, the needle life can be short lived. The cams, besides controlling the pattern made, also control the width and distance the needle bar travels.
    >There are no plastic parts inside.
    >The machine is somewhat noisy, but it does like oil and a good dose occasionally keeps it reasonable quiet.

It's a good, but not exceptional machine. Mines beige and is set up in the basement right now.

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 04-04-2014 at 07:23 PM.
    Old 04-04-2014, 07:22 PM

Wow, you guys are remarkable. I got busy with family, pets, and a quilt project and haven't gotten back the 328k yet. But you have all certainly given me a lot to look for and work on! Thank's, I will hopefully report back next time with good news.
    Does anyone out there know if this model was exclusively made in 1961... or where in the world did they put s/n's on these machines?
    Old 04-04-2014, 07:26 PM

Mavis,

The serial number is stamped on the underside of the lip of the bed.
    A general time period of manufacturer can be found on ISMACS, here: { http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...ist/index.html }
    According to them the 328K was made 1963 to 1965.

Joe
    Old 04-04-2014, 11:05 PM

I have a 328K. It was my very first machine -- my husband bought it for me at Christmas, the first year we were married (1963). It's a real workhorse of a machine -- I've used mine heavily, for anything from upholstery cloth to drapes, to maternity clothing, to baby dresses, gowns, suits, etc. I've never had a major repair. It was new when I got it, the motor is still good. It is a noisy machine, but I've gotten used to that over the past 50+ years! Mine is tan. I'm very happy with mine. Once you get the 328K going, you'll either love it or hate it -- there doesn't seem to be any "in between"! The 328K doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it has and continues to sew very well!

Jeanette
    Old 04-05-2014, 06:04 AM

Love the modern look!!!!! What a find even though this favor is more work than you may have anticipated, it's great that your family is looking out for you.
    Old 04-05-2014, 08:37 PM

As a couple other people have said, this is a belt-driven machine, although the motor is internal, so the belt is mostly hidden. I think your needle isn't going up and down because your belt is missing - you can kind of see in the second picture where it ought to be. The bobbin winder wheel runs against the belt, when it's there.

I have a definite soft spot for the 328 since I learned to sew on my Mom's. I like the way the light bulges out on the front. I wish I had realized a few years ago that one of my life goals was going to be to own a treadle sewing machine that could do fancy stitches; I wouldn't have let her give it away if I had realized. Yours appears to be in great condition - I hope you get it stitching!
    Old 04-06-2014, 06:20 AM

I removed plate on r. side of machine (after taking off balance wheel). I do not find any belt inside my machine. I'll try to get photos for reference.
    Attached Thumbnails 102_2508-640x480-.jpg   102_2509-640x480-.jpg  
    Old 04-06-2014, 06:48 AM

Well, at least you know why the needle doesn't go up and down when you use the foot pedal.
    Old 04-06-2014, 06:56 AM

So, how hard is it to get a belt properly installed in this situation? I'm a willing learner! I don't want to give up now. Never sought out this machine, but now that I've got her, I'm determined to bring her back to working order. Found the s/n. It's an old version of the 328k as it does not have a switch for the light; just is on whenever machine is plugged in. Oh, and it does have one cam inside it....the zz cam! So, if I get a belt installed, I'll have the straight & zz stitches.
    Old 04-06-2014, 07:10 AM

Mavis,

First clean all the old belt residue from the motor pulley and the hand wheel belt grove. This helps give the belt good traction and prevent slippage.

Then loosen the screw in the center of the two large nylon bushings with the motor bracket running between them. To do this slip a screw driver through the hole in the right end of the machine's body. You can see both of these things in the second picture above.

Procure a new belt, (mine is an Alpha Sew #1514, you can get it at Sew-Classic or your LSMG) and put it on the hand wheel grove, then push the motor as far up as it will go and put the belt on the motor pulley. It's the big brown thingy with the "V" shaped groves in the first picture. Work the hand wheel back on and put the stop motion washer and knob back on.

Then adjust the belt so it's just tight enough to not slip, but no tighter.

That's basically all there is to it.

Joe