Singer 338 had to come home

Old 03-22-2012, 07:07 AM

So, I am one of you now.....I used to be crazy about shoes; now I'm crazy about machines--and sometimes don't spend as much money as I did back then.....I simply cannot stand the thought of a sewing machine going to the dump. So now I have about a hundred setting around all over the place....and every time I see one on CL and tell DH I want to go look at one, he just rolls his eyes and says "when" or "not right now I'm busy"....... My most recent purchase was 2 301s, a 201, a 99, a Spartan, and a Pfaff for $425 because he would not split them up for the 301s that I wanted. And my son had to drive over 300 miles to get them for me.....Oh well.....my gain. Now I am looking for someone to give one of them to because I am out of space for keeping them.

Jo Ann
Old 03-22-2012, 11:05 AM

TY KAty, I was surprised that Dh even pointed her out to me and then insisted that she be bought and paid for her. He was just complaining last week I had to get rid of some of this sewing "crap" (as he calls it) and then turns around to buy me more. We were out to a different thrift store yesterday and he says Hey look at that machine over there. I said Nope not what I like, it was a 99 in a cabinet and not for me, I like portable and have to have something special to them.

Originally Posted by katykwilt View Post
Envy is seeping from my veins! I have been collecting older machines. My original purpose was to find some that I could use for teaching folks in unfortunate situations. Now I have collected a total of 10 machines, 9 Singers that could be labeled Vintage, made from 1909 to 1965 including 2 treadles. I got hooked! Since the ones in cabinets are a bit hard to transport when teaching, I just have to restrain myself and look for portables like you just found. Great find!!!!
Old 03-22-2012, 11:07 AM

Oh my I have to laugh for I am not that bad, yet. If i had the room I would be. I see old 401's and once in a while a 301, in the thrift stores and keep telling myself NO we dont have the room. If i ever get my work shop built that will be different for DH knows he has to add enough room to make a little showcase for all the retired gals. I am thinking 15 machines right now is enough. After all I only have two hands and two feet.

Originally Posted by oldtnquiltinglady View Post
So, I am one of you now.....I used to be crazy about shoes; now I'm crazy about machines--and sometimes don't spend as much money as I did back then.....I simply cannot stand the thought of a sewing machine going to the dump. So now I have about a hundred setting around all over the place....and every time I see one on CL and tell DH I want to go look at one, he just rolls his eyes and says "when" or "not right now I'm busy"....... My most recent purchase was 2 301s, a 201, a 99, a Spartan, and a Pfaff for $425 because he would not split them up for the 301s that I wanted. And my son had to drive over 300 miles to get them for me.....Oh well.....my gain. Now I am looking for someone to give one of them to because I am out of space for keeping them.

Jo Ann
Old 03-22-2012, 03:37 PM

My grandmother gave me my first machine, it is a 348 . . almost identical to your 338. I have collected 32 fashion discs for her. Recently decided to use her for stitching sashings and ended up having to do some investigating as to why the belt seemed to be slipping. Turned out to be the pulley was worn out all is well now. I, too have a few older machines . . 201, 2- 99's, 2- 301's and a FW. Also some Elna machines. After reading the comments on 15-91, looking for one for free motion quilting, my 201 seems to have a tension issue that I can't figure out.

LOVIN' our 80 + degree days this week !!
Old 03-22-2012, 05:03 PM

I have one that looks like that one.. It's in the closet, as I have no room for all the machines to hang out.... It was made in Great Britain.. I've been using her for the longest time, and got the 99, and 66, and stopped using her for piecing.. Think I might be getting spoiled.. Ughhh..
Barri
Old 03-22-2012, 06:10 PM

Very pretty machine. Congatulations!
Old 03-23-2012, 12:14 PM

Yes, Ophelia was born in Great Britain as well. One of my friends was over today and I showed her off and she was impressed how nice she is, the only thing wrong is her plastic plate on the front has a crack in it, but heck not bad for a baby born in 1964, she is as old as I am and I worse for wear. So far I have not put her to "work" and asked DH if he would make me a stand for on the deck so I can be outside and enjoy the weather and use her as well.

Originally Posted by barri1 View Post
I have one that looks like that one.. It's in the closet, as I have no room for all the machines to hang out.... It was made in Great Britain.. I've been using her for the longest time, and got the 99, and 66, and stopped using her for piecing.. Think I might be getting spoiled.. Ughhh..
Barri
Old 03-23-2012, 02:46 PM

Default I have her older sis

My 338 was a surprise high school graduation gift from grandparents. It was one of the most exciting moments of my life. I still love her 45 years and many, many, many stitches later. She still sews great!
Old 05-13-2012, 06:55 AM

I guys. I'm new to this board but having been sewing for years . I recently acquired the 338 but cannot get it to stitch at all. Like I said I'm not new to sewing but I am new to vintage machines. I purchased the owners manual but that's not helping. I have checked and rechecked the tensions cleaned the machine (as it was in someones basement) but cannot get the bottom thread to connect with the top. I can get it to pull through and that's it. Does anyone have any suggestions? The motor belt does appear to be worn. I'm not sure if that would cause the problems but I have a new one on the way. If anyone knows where I can get a repair manual for this it would also be appreciated. Any suggestions you guys could give me would be sooooooooooooo much apprictaed. Thanks in advance.
Maggie
Old 05-14-2012, 04:50 AM

Love the color. I need to keep an eye out for one.