Singer 403 A bobbin

Old 05-15-2022, 11:34 AM

Default Singer 403 A bobbin

I have my late mother's 403 A with all the attachments and cams, and looked forward to using it at our home-away-from-home in the mountains. It has only one bobbin and no manual. An online search indicated that it uses Class 66 bobbins. I bought a pack of 4 metal Class 66 bobbins, and though they look identical to the old one, the center hole is too small to fit on the bobbin winder. Is it just a fluke? Have they changed the specs on Class 66 since 1960? I'd appreciate any help.
Old 05-15-2022, 11:39 AM

If this chart is accurate

https://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/bobbins

There would be differences between the 66 bobbin and the apollo bobbin it lists for the 403. I would look for some plastic bobbins and try those.
Old 05-15-2022, 01:09 PM

Thank you, JoeJr. It's worth a try. Still puzzled, though, since my mom never used plastic bobbins.
Old 05-15-2022, 01:41 PM

Your Mom's metal bobbins were likely "vintage" metal bobbins, which are not the same as new ones. You could look for old metal bobbins and try those also, I suspect they would work better than new ones.
Old 05-15-2022, 04:45 PM

I'm sure that's right, JoeJr. Mom sewed through the 1960's and 70's with that machine. I never saw a plastic bobbin until 1972, when I received a 758 Touch 'n Sew as a wedding gift. I no longer have the 758 (traded it in for a Bernina), and it looks as though the 403 has held its value better than 758--though I don't plan to sell it.
Old 05-19-2022, 09:48 AM

The clear plastic Class 66 bobbins I have bought from WalMart work in my 403A.
Old 05-22-2022, 11:20 AM

Problem solved! I had bought the new bobbins in a fabric shop while visiting out of town. Last week I went to my familiar LQS, and when I described the problem, the first question was, "Are they Singer brand?" I looked, and found that they were not, but were made by a well-known notions company. I bought a pack of Singer brand metal bobbins, tried them out yesterday, and THEY FIT on the bobbin winder!