Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 411G, Singer 401G and a Singer 401A Slant-O-Matic Singer machines >

Singer 411G, Singer 401G and a Singer 401A Slant-O-Matic Singer machines

Singer 411G, Singer 401G and a Singer 401A Slant-O-Matic Singer machines

Old 07-29-2013, 05:45 AM

Oh, good! Less worries!

Yes, I have seen the 2 needle thing in the manual (that's what you're talking about, right?). My prospective projects are super simple (pillows, and when I'm comfortable enough, pajama bottoms), but who knows... maybe one day I'll need that technique!
Old 07-29-2013, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

It is a LOT of fun to see what 2 needles will do! You can use 2 different color threads!
Old 07-29-2013, 05:53 AM

Ok ok, I'll try!
Old 07-29-2013, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

You ARE allowed to play a little you know!
Old 07-29-2013, 06:14 AM

Ha ha, just sewing on a leftover piece of fabric is already so much fun to me right now. I feel like a kid w/ a new toy!
Old 07-29-2013, 07:37 AM

@ Plume Ja ik ben ook blij!! I know how you feel tested some diffrent stiches today when my little man was in bed and i'm really happy with the results!

I will try and take some pictures tonight of my pretty machine.

@Miriam does it fit 2 needles of any brand or only the 2020 Singer needles.
And an other question is it true that the 401,411 and the 431 are much a like?
Old 07-29-2013, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

You need the right size needles. I like the Schmetz universal needles the best then Organ or maybe Singer. You can use up to size 18. For the fine stitches you want smaller size needles. Cathy (Mizkaki) is the one to tell you all you want to know about needles. I wish she would do a tutorial of some sort when she feels better.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:02 AM

Oke i think my mom read somewhere that if you want to do the "fancy" stiches they come out better if you use the 2020 Singer needles do you have any experience with that?(We bought are 431 at the same time)

Ow and i really want to thank everyone that posted links here,i got some good things out of almost every link!
Old 07-29-2013, 10:40 AM

Plume, I wonder if the post on your 401 is a little too far out from the body, and rocking it back to clean it might have reseated the disks and given them less play. It's a guess. Technically oiling / greasing the under bits shouldn't have anything to do with the upper tension.

My guess on the 401 on Elizabeth's blog is that it's a 401A. The needlebar has a USA stamp on the side of it. That's just a guess though.

Sheluma - my oldest kitty, now gone, used to nurse both of our remaining kitties, despite never having been a mom. One of the kitties actually chewed holes from nursing too long (past the milk teeth stage), and she would cry but not stop her. The vet said she'd put a stop to it when it hurt her enough. She didn't. Eventually, I was desperate to stop it, and I put a toddler jumpsuit on her all the time when I was home, and separated them when I wasn't. It broke the habit, she healed up and they were all fine.

Tisch - depending on the weird smell, it could be "long unused vintage motor" smell. If it's really strong though, it could use a looking at. The motor can be removed and the oil cleaned out if that's the issue, but I'd do like miriam suggested and check everything else out first.

Personally, I don't find the Singer needles to be what they used to be. I use schmetz 130/705 15x1 needles in the slants and have never had a problem. Organ is also good, and you should see one or more of the same markings on the Organ needles (they may say 130, or 130/705, or 705, or 15x1) or they may say HAx1

All of the designations hurt my head. Cathy does certainly know her stuff.

The 401, 411, 431 are all -basically- the same machine.
  • The 401A doesn't chainstitch and isn't treadle-able.
  • I think by Miriam's photos that the G doesn't chain either, I don't see a chaining guide by the tensioner, but can be treadled. They both have the "elevator plate".
  • The 411G can be treadled and can chainstitch, it also has the elevator plate. This is my favorite variant of the series.
  • The 431G is the Convertible (or open arm) version of the series. It can't be treadled - no hinges on the back, but it does chainstitch. It has the lift off plates instead of the elevator plates. Probably for lack of room in the " open arm"

I suppose one of these days I should get off my rump and post some pics of the 431G for comparision.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:41 PM

Thnx for those anwsers!

I was planning on taking some foto's tonight but my kids had to much fun playing so did not take the pictures.
I'm really new to vintage sewing machine. I bought a kohler in a cabinet (threadle) verry cheap 2 months ago because i love how they look. I had no idea that you could still sew with them and my mom found the 431G online on Marktplaats, it sayd it was cleaned and everything and we just had to have them(te seller was selling 2) but it was not. I am really starting to like these vintage machines!