Singer 411G, spool pin pads?

Old 07-20-2013, 05:07 PM

Why I'd like to chain stitch -- Mostly to have stitching that pulls out easily. I can preshrink folded cotton bias tape by stitching it shut, then preshrink and rip out the stitching. Also for turning hems and edges -- Sometimes it's easier to mark the fold with a line of stitching instead of a pencil. Then turn the edge and rip out the stitching. Also for sewing "test" seams. You can sorta do all of this with a lockstitch by loosening the tension a lot and sewing a really crappy seam that pulls out fairly easily.

I also thought the chain might be a nice decoration -- like to fill in a design with dense spiraling chain stitching (like the kind you see on some Kashmiri embroideries, except they do it by hand).

Just thought of another use -- it's a very elastic stitch, so it's good for knits. If you have zig zag you really don't need it, but sometimes it would be nice to have a straight stitch that stretches.

Tammi, In your post #43, the stitching on the right in the picture, the blue bobbin thread is being picked up, so it's not really a chain stitch. What is the chain like on a 411 or 431 with the correct parts? Is it nice? (sorry if you showed it and I missed it.)

Here's a Kashmiri embroidery. Not that I'd ever in a million years be able to do something like this, but it might be fun to try.[ATTACH=CONFIG]424928[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails kashmiri-embroidery.jpg  
Old 07-20-2013, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sheluma View Post

What is the chain like on a 411 or 431 with the correct parts? Is it nice? (sorry if you showed it and I missed it.)
oops. Just reread your previous post. didn't mean to rush you
Old 07-21-2013, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Hey Miriam,

for the CS, yes, I use the other guide, the one to the left of the take up lever. The one you look to be highlighting is part of normal threading.

I'll thread up a 411G when we get home, and snap some pics. It'll be late though.
OK, here we go. I got home way later last night than I thought. We stopped to help my newly discovered cousin set up her mid-arm frame. Then today I had to rearrange most of the house for my new toy, and set it up. Will post later or tomorrow about it,.. I promise.

In the meantime, here's the 411G threaded for chaining
[ATTACH=CONFIG]425144[/ATTACH]

Here's a close up of that:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]425145[/ATTACH]

And here it is for normal sewing:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]425146[/ATTACH]
Notice how we skip that guide to the far left? That's the only difference as far as the upper thread.

I also thought the chain might be a nice decoration -- like to fill in a design with dense spiraling chain stitching (like the kind you see on some Kashmiri embroideries, except they do it by hand).

<snip>

Tammi, In your post #43, the stitching on the right in the picture, the blue bobbin thread is being picked up, so it's not really a chain stitch. What is the chain like on a 411 or 431 with the correct parts? Is it nice? (sorry if you showed it and I missed it.)
I had been thinking the same thing. I thought it might be interesting to quilt something using the chainstitch - upside down to show off the stitch. I didn't end up doing though for some reason.

One comment I made in post 43 (quoted below) is that
The bobbin thread lays flat on the fabric, it can be tugged out. If you got the tension right, it might look "normal" when it was all finished.
I didn't really get why that worked the way it did, but I think there's a chance that with the plate, a person could get a 401 chaining with a makeshift guide, and a few tension / needle tweaks. I ended up giving up, because the plate and case were so hard to find, and I didn't have enough of a practical use for it, considering that I had a properly equipped 411G here. That said, I still have a 503 here, I could play some more if the urge took me again. I would probably start with a #16 needle, and play with tightening the tension a little more or seeing if I could fabricate the extra guide.

BTW, my 431 manual has the chaining information in it...

Here's a photo of the chain. I went looking for a photo, but it turns out I never did make a photo of it doing a good chain, just the 401 doing it poorly.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]425154[/ATTACH]

oops. Just reread your previous post. didn't mean to rush you
No worries, I get behind, especially on weekends.
Attached Thumbnails img_0679.jpg   img_0680.jpg   img_0681.jpg   411chainsmall.jpg  
Old 07-21-2013, 09:42 PM

Oh, no. I'm starting to have serious pangs for a 411 or 431. That's a beautiful stitch. Thanks for doing that and showing it to us, Tammi.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:00 PM

I would go for the 411G. For some reason, it seems like a nicer running machine. It's quieter (often the case with a open arm vs a standard bed), and seems to be smoother somehow, but I can't put my finger on why. If I had to choose to keep only one, it would be the 411G, in a second. Of course, I haven't a lot of use for open arms for the sewing I do, so that may have something to do with it too. Of course, it always depends on what pops up.

My pleasure! I'm always happy to enable... uh. I mean help.

BTW, here's the new toy I've been hinting about. The lady who I traded with did get my other 431G as parts of the trade: http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ml#post6189510
Old 07-22-2013, 12:42 AM

Interesting to hear your comparison of the two machines. I actually don't quilt, and the free arm would be handy for hemming pants, mending pockets, etc. But you're right that it depends on what pops up. They are both so rare in these parts. Congratulations on your new rig -- it looks great!
Old 07-22-2013, 05:04 AM

My question is, why would it be there? Why make the recess for the pins, then pad it out?

If I know why, I might know what.
I haven't read each post, so if the question about the filler around the pin is answered, my apologies. I'm guessing Miriam's Egor or Joe's Bubba has used solder filler to stabilize the pin. The original pin has a disk molded around the base of the pin to hold pin in and stabilize it, I think. Check here - http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/spo...er-507077.aspx
Old 07-22-2013, 09:12 AM

Hey Ron,

Close. There are 4 components to this "pin".
  1. The 507077 that you linked to, which is the only piece still available. Which is good, because on 5 of these machines I've had to replace 6 of those pins.
  2. The mystery "pads" that hold the pins about 3/8" from the base of the lid, so the base of that pin sits flush
  3. There's a flat washer that attaches underneath the plate
  4. Then a retaining ring, like the one that holds the stitch chart onto the lid.

This is actually my only complaint about the entire machine. Those pins are so frustrating to change and seem unnecessarily complex.

The pads can be simulated by using a 45780 Rubber bed cushion from the 221 / 222/ 301. It's a tight fit, and it sits ever so slightly above the top of the lip of the cover.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:16 AM

Interesting to hear your comparison of the two machines. I actually don't quilt, and the free arm would be handy for hemming pants, mending pockets, etc. But you're right that it depends on what pops up. They are both so rare in these parts. Congratulations on your new rig -- it looks great!
The funny thing is my first machine was "convertible", I used it fairly often. Now, almost all of my machines are not, and I don't miss it. I do some clothing sewing, but seldom anymore. I usually just flip whatever it is inside out and stitch from the bottom, like they would have done at the turn of the century. Possibly less attractive, but no worse than my sewing on the rest of the garment. Thanks! I have to make some cat food and get playing with that setup! Can't have it taking up that much room and just collecting dust and cat fur...
Old 09-01-2013, 05:32 PM

Got it!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]433616[/ATTACH]

This stitch was done on this machine, a 503J:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]433617[/ATTACH]

I used a "spare" 507602 bobbin case, and the AK3 chaining plate from my 411G. Top tension brought to you by a spool pin felt and a piece of painters tape. I tried just tightening the tension, but this tended to snap the thread. Which is fair. By adding another source of tension, instead of making one source ultra tight (the stitch looked good at about 7 or 7.5 until the thread snapped.) the stitch normalized.

This means if we can find a broken parts machine with these parts, any of the 401, 403, (probably a 404), 500 and 503 machines can be talked into chaining.
Attached Thumbnails img_0799.jpg   img_0798.jpg