Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 500A "Rocketeer" complete restoration >

Singer 500A "Rocketeer" complete restoration

Singer 500A "Rocketeer" complete restoration

Old 11-10-2019, 05:11 AM

Impressive! That is a beautiful machine. Fun to watch and see if the “bug bites”. I am guessing you will have several machines before very long. It is definitely addictive.��
Old 11-10-2019, 06:54 AM

Matt, your work is awesome! Did it run when you first got it? In your opinion, would a "normal" cleaning and lube have gotten it running acceptably? Did your tear down make it "run like new?"
Old 11-10-2019, 07:05 AM

Gasped when I saw all those pieces and could finally breathe again when I read you got it all back together! Whew! I have a Rocketeer 500A too! Want to get it running better...mine is unusually slow. Found a crack in the bottom of the foot pedal, so I replaced the foot pedal and wires. Still running slow. I think if I just just it more and keep it oiled it will loosen up. (fingers crossed).
Old 11-10-2019, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by liking quilting View Post
Gasped when I saw all those pieces and could finally breathe again when I read you got it all back together! Whew! I have a Rocketeer 500A too! Want to get it running better...mine is unusually slow. Found a crack in the bottom of the foot pedal, so I replaced the foot pedal and wires. Still running slow. I think if I just just it more and keep it oiled it will loosen up. (fingers crossed).
Have you tried 30W oil at the base of the fiber gear by the hand wheel? This thread is for a 401, but is similar to the 500 She's real fun, my 401...

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Rocketeer View Post
Hi everyone,
I thought you might like to see photos from my complete restoration of a Singer 500A. It's just such a gorgeous machine. I'm pretty sure it was sitting in a portable case for many decades, out of the light and safe from moisture, before it came to me.
I knew it would at least need heavy lubrication and cleaning, but when I discovered the YouTube channel AndyTube, with its encyclopedic library of Singer restoration and maintenance videos, I was inspired to do a complete teardown and overhaul.
(AndyTube link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUS...tRoz1VA2U1xJ4w)

Here is "Bernadette" in the Singer Spinet "trapezoid" case that I previously posted about, having modified it to be able to accept a 500A (it was designed for a 301).
[ATTACH=CONFIG]619466[/ATTACH]

The four motors I had to choose from. One came out of my machine, another from another machine (the backup!), and the remaining two from separate purchases.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]619467[/ATTACH]

Total teardown of the PA 10-8 motor, including removing (driving out violently!) the commutator shaft from the bearing housed in the aluminum casing at right.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]619468[/ATTACH]

Pressure-fitting the new bearing onto the commutator shaft, with thanks to Neighbor Dave for the use of the pipe clamps, without which I would have had to locate a hydraulic press somewhere!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]619469[/ATTACH]

The vibrating bracket assembly completely disassembled -- this is what swings the needle for zig-zags and patterns.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]619470[/ATTACH]

The needle bar driving arm rubber-banded in place along with the rest of the pattern selector assembly, missing the cam stack
[ATTACH=CONFIG]619471[/ATTACH]

The pattern selector assembly parts removed -- this was the part that made me the most nervous.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]619472[/ATTACH]

Washing day! Literally in the sink with grease remover and water, followed by chasing rust, drying, grease, then oil.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]619473[/ATTACH]

All 186 removed parts arranged roughly geographically; they were otherwise stored by groups in plastic zipper bags to keep them organized.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]619474[/ATTACH]

It was quite an adventure, and now (I promise) all the parts are back where they should be, lubricated properly, and singing beautifully! I couldn't have done it without Andy!

Cheers,
Matt
That is beautiful. I have a 301 slant. I think that is the model. I love it. Have you seen the group for this machine. I just joined and found them and was thrilled. Check it out.
[email protected] Group Moderators <[email protected]>
Old 11-10-2019, 08:30 AM

I have 2 401s and 2 503s. All were purchased used. They vary greatly in their speed and quietness. I bought my first 503 from a gentleman who had donated it to his church for a sewing class. When the class folded, it was returned to him. I bought it out of his backyard shed. I finally got tired of messing with it as my primary sewer and replaced it with a 401. I bought my second 503 at an estate sale on the final day. It hums perfectly.

The performance of these machines depend a lot on how they've been treated. My second 401 runs better than the first one. The first one was really stuck together from what appeared to be a once well oiled machine that was left in storage for years. Even thought I cleaned on it for a couple of weeks, it's never been as good as the second one.

That's just my experience with these machines.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 11-10-2019 at 08:31 AM. Reason: grammar, once again
Old 11-10-2019, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltMom2 View Post
That's impressive! That machine looks like it's brand new.
Thanks QuiltMom2! For the looks I can't take full credit -- it really seems to have been in a case and kept out of light and dust for most of its life. The colors are really quite vibrant!

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
Impressive! That is a beautiful machine. Fun to watch and see if the “bug bites”. I am guessing you will have several machines before very long. It is definitely addictive.��
Womp, womp, too late, luvstoquilt. My first was a 15- from 1954, years ago. It took until I met the Rocketeer to bite, but I also have a ... few others. Mostly really really old : )

Originally Posted by J3General View Post
Matt, your work is awesome! Did it run when you first got it? In your opinion, would a "normal" cleaning and lube have gotten it running acceptably? Did your tear down make it "run like new?"
Thank you J3General!! It did run, but sounded gunky. I suspect a normal cleaning and lube would have been sufficient, but I saw AndyTube's videos, and the challenge of understanding the function of every part got the better of me. I think it runs pretty well now and sews beautifully, though I'm struggling with some adjustments, mostly around tension.

Originally Posted by liking quilting View Post
Remember, Mavis, grease for gears and oil for everything else! The foot pedal is often a culprit. I find the machine labors a bit on the pattern stitches... the motor really isn't supposed to be lubricated but I agree with Janey that those old bearings can get gummy, and short of replacing them (not an option for most) anything you can do is probably better than nothing.
But yes, I held my breath for weeks! There were some nights (particularly with the pattern assembly) when I stared at the machine and said "I can't!" until I just jumped in. I took a lot of photos and notes along the way, and that along with the service manual and the AndyTube videos made sure I could get back to "home base."

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
I have 2 401s and 2 503s. All were purchased used. They vary greatly in their speed and quietness. I bought my first 503 from a gentleman who had donated it to his church for a sewing class. When the class folded, it was returned to him. I bought it out of his backyard shed. I finally got tired of messing with it as my primary sewer and replaced it with a 401. I bought my second 503 at an estate sale on the final day. It hums perfectly.

The performance of these machines depend a lot on how they've been treated. My second 401 runs better than the first one. The first one was really stuck together from what appeared to be a once well oiled machine that was left in storage for years. Even thought I cleaned on it for a couple of weeks, it's never been as good as the second one.

That's just my experience with these machines.

bkay

So interesting bkay, and I'm finding that I'm worried this machine may just be a bit of a slow runner. The bit I haven't mentioned yet is like a quote out of the movie Contact where John Hurt's SR Hadden tells Jodie Foster's Eleanor Arroway about the existence of a *second machine* -- "Why buy one when you can have two at twice the price?" I have a second 500 and the colors are a bit more faded, but I'm going to run it a bit and see if I need to repeat my teardown. In the end I'm really after the best performance.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:49 AM

So impressed with what you have done here. And I have rebuilt 4 barrel carbs. I love the picture with all the parts you took off laid out. I haven't made out underbed pieces here. Am I just jaded by my older models, or are they still on the head.? Bearing or busing on the commutator shaft? Fascinating.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
So impressed with what you have done here. And I have rebuilt 4 barrel carbs. I love the picture with all the parts you took off laid out. I haven't made out underbed pieces here. Am I just jaded by my older models, or are they still on the head.? Bearing or busing on the commutator shaft? Fascinating.
Hey leonf, thanks! You're right -- I left the rock shaft et al. in place. After I had done everything else, I just got a little too nervous about putting all those shafts back in place and recalibrating them, though I did manage to adjust the feed dog height. There's a lot of eccentric things down there.
As for the bearing, I used MRC 37FF (https://www.motionindustries.com/pro...p?sku=00039888) that I bought from my "bearing guy" Jon -- one of the many folks I've made lovely connections with surrounding the need for parts or tools for this project. Replacing it was harrowing. I had to pound the shaft down through the old bearing until it popped out, remove the bearing from the silver aluminum half of the motor housing, press the new bearing back into that housing with the aid of washers that matched the size of the outer race, and then -- this is the craziest part -- locate sections of metal cuffing that were wide enough to fit snugly around the shaft but small enough only to contact the *inner* race, so I wouldn't stress the bearing by applying opposing pressure to the two races. I found the stuff at Bolt Depot, one of my favorite suppliers. You can see two of the metal collars taped together in the pipe clamps photo. I had to have them in sections so I could press the bearing onto the shaft in increments.
Actually I didn't *have* to do any of this -- the old bearing was spinning nicely and I suspect that even though they're not supposed to be re-lubricated, the fact that it's only piloting the shaft rather than actually bearing any weight means a little re-lubrication would have worked fine. But I'm sometimes a perfectionist and wanted to feel that my 500A was the best it could be. I also love a mechanical challenge!
Old 11-13-2019, 07:43 AM

My hat is off to you, sir. I once torched a bearing off a rear axle on a 66 Chevy. then I still had to take the axle to a press to get the new one on. isn't it fun to learn?

I have an ol d VS White where I suspect some heavy handed person put a puller on the rim of the balance wheel to try to get it off. Of coure, it broke. Glad you are so patient.