Singer 500's and 400's

Old 06-24-2014, 02:53 PM
Power Poster

I have spent 12 hours or more on some of the 401s and 500s easily getting them to work properly.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:19 PM

Miriam, were those ones with significant problems or just ones that haven't been used in awhile? Out of curiosity, for ones in similar shape, would you say that's more or less time for other models of the era?

I have to admit, I think I'd almost be scared to work with most newer models on the market today or from the last 20 or so years. They seem so fragile in comparison to these antique machines, and being that I work in a museum, I already tend to see antiques as fragile! I was looking at Singers in Target yesterday just out of curiosity and wondered how long it would take for that plastic presser foot lever to break. I know Singer isn't a shining example of quality for machines today but I think I'd find it hard to work on a machine that doesn't have that "solid" feel of the older machines. Admittedly I haven't looked at some of the higher end newer machines on the market like Bernina because they are way out of my price range. But for the most bang for your buck, I have to say I'm impressed with the older machines.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:26 PM
Power Poster

Usually any Singer 401 that hasn't been serviced will need some work. I see people saying they buy them dirt cheap but they usually need work. The 403 and 503 are much easier to work on.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Skylark53 View Post
Miriam, were those ones with significant problems or just ones that haven't been used in awhile? Out of curiosity, for ones in similar shape, would you say that's more or less time for other models of the era?

I have to admit, I think I'd almost be scared to work with most newer models on the market today or from the last 20 or so years. They seem so fragile in comparison to these antique machines, and being that I work in a museum, I already tend to see antiques as fragile! I was looking at Singers in Target yesterday just out of curiosity and wondered how long it would take for that plastic presser foot lever to break. I know Singer isn't a shining example of quality for machines today but I think I'd find it hard to work on a machine that doesn't have that "solid" feel of the older machines. Admittedly I haven't looked at some of the higher end newer machines on the market like Bernina because they are way out of my price range. But for the most bang for your buck, I have to say I'm impressed with the older machines.
It's not strictly because of abuse. Realistically, like cars, sewing machines often manifest more problems when they're left derelict than when they're used all the time. With the way that the Cam stack and the followers are designed, they can get "sticky" with old oil and such. It's not necessarily in line with a similar machine of the era, but the work to get it unstuck is well worth it, because though I'll be the first to tell most people that the reason Singers are hard to kill is that their tolerances are a little sloppier than some others, leaving more leniancy when it comes to lack of care, the 401A, 403A, 500A, 503A/J, 411G, 401G, 421G, 431G machines are some of the best in their class, bar none.

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Usually any Singer 401 that hasn't been serviced will need some work. I see people saying they buy them dirt cheap but they usually need work. The 403 and 503 are much easier to work on.
This is the bulk of the work that usually frees these machines up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdaWx1gGZWg
That's a youtube video I posted a few months ago.

The savings when you buy it is put into elbow grease.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:51 PM

IIRC the 400 and 500 series machines use the same tophat style cams as the 600 series. If that's the case a basic set of cams is easily and cheaply available. You may pay a bit more for cams in the correct box for your machine than for the later models but even then they're not hard to get.
I'd go with one of the 500 series machines just for the styling. Make sure they have both doors. Replacing them can get expensive.
I'm not sure if Singer made a monogrammer for the slant shank machines. Maybe someone here can say.
Rodney
Old 06-25-2014, 09:02 PM
Power Poster

yup they made a monogrammer - nope I don't love it
Old 06-27-2014, 03:22 AM
Banned

I've not sewn on a 501, but have a 401 with a full set of cams that I absolutely adore. I don't free motion quilt on my domestic's so can't speak in that aspect, but I can't imagine a better sewing machine. Out of all my vintage machines, the 401 was hands down my favorite until I brought home a Bernina 830 record... now it's a tie
Old 06-27-2014, 03:53 PM

Well, the deal didn't go through. I don't know why I'm so crestfallen, but I won't lie, I am. I realize there are more out there but not in my area or budget. Even if I had the budget, I'd be very hesitant to have one shipped.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:02 PM

Never say never. I haven't been lucky enough to get one yet but since I started playing with sewing machines I've seen 2 free Rocketeers go by and several others for under $50. Be patient and check everyday. There will be others.
Rodney
Old 06-27-2014, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Never say never. I haven't been lucky enough to get one yet but since I started playing with sewing machines I've seen 2 free Rocketeers go by and several others for under $50. Be patient and check everyday. There will be others.
Rodney
same thing here. i let go a $40 rocketeer (missing bobbin, missing thread tension knob, missing bobbin plate cover) more so because i was too lazy to drive 1.5 hours one way.