Singer 615U Deluxe Zigzag

Old 11-09-2013, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I just went thru the same thing on our machines. Both use a Class 66 bobbin. Until a few weeks ago I'd never used a sewing machine and was pretty clueless about them. Still clueless, just not as bad now.
I bought Singer bobbins at Walmart. There seems to be a quality control issue with the metal ones in the 4 packs. Some are larger than others in the packs. I ended up throwing a few out because they didn't fit in our machines. I think out of 8 total I was able to use 5 of them. At 4/$1 it's not a huge deal, just annoying.
Rodney
Yeah, the general consensus is that you should try to get vintage Class 66 bobbins, or buy them from Sew-Classic, as the new ones have poor quality control, as you found out.

I buy them whenever I find them at garage/estate sales or thrift stores, as they are usually sold for next to nothing.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I just went thru the same thing on our machines. Both use a Class 66 bobbin. Until a few weeks ago I'd never used a sewing machine and was pretty clueless about them. Still clueless, just not as bad now.
I bought Singer bobbins at Walmart. There seems to be a quality control issue with the metal ones in the 4 packs. Some are larger than others in the packs. I ended up throwing a few out because they didn't fit in our machines. I think out of 8 total I was able to use 5 of them. At 4/$1 it's not a huge deal, just annoying.
Rodney
YOU THREW THEM OUT??????????? But they can make really great earrings...
Old 12-30-2013, 11:49 AM

I read this thread and I am hoping I can get some help. My mother in law just gave me her Singer 615U which she received as a graduation present. It was NEVER used. The motor/timing belt disintegrated and I need to replace it. I have not been able to find any dimensions on it such as length or width or number of teeth on the belt. Since this machine was a OCONUS item information is difficult to locate. I have the original manual and all the other original items it came with but no repair or parts information. If anyone has any information I would be grateful if you could share it.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:16 PM

JmeB welcome to the site. I'm not familiar with the 615U in particular. I'm not sure if the 615U is a touch & sew. I don't think it is but it was made at the same time and probably shares a lot of similarities. I just picked up a 648 touch and sew missing a few parts and found this place: http://tandtrepair.com/index.html They seem to deal a lot with machines of that vintage and may be familiar with your model.

Miriam, I just saw that post. I don't wear ear rings but if I buy more metal ones I'll keep you in mind.
Rodney