Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 6233 feed dogs not high enough >

Singer 6233 feed dogs not high enough

Singer 6233 feed dogs not high enough

Old 08-28-2017, 08:37 AM

Default Singer 6233 feed dogs not high enough

The fabric actually slides around as its sewing. The presser foot is down, (you know that was your first question, lol) but it slews around. And there isn't one of those feed dog adjustment buttons on top we all love so much. Anyone have a clue here? Guess I figured out why it was at the Goodwill, right?
Old 08-28-2017, 09:49 AM
Banned

The height of the feed dogs should be about equal to the thickness of a dime. Is there a presser foot pressure adjustment? That's more likely the culprit.

Cari
Old 08-28-2017, 11:15 AM

List for trouble shooting: take out needle plate and bobbin case and clean thoroughly. Cleaning, a bit of oiling (I'm not sure to which degree this model are to be oiled), and more cleaning are more often than not all an old machine needs. There has to be some way to lower the feed dogs? Look for a setting or knob for the function. Some singers have a neelde plate thats lifted up above the feed dogs, but it can get stuck (more cleaning and oiling). As Cari mentions, if the presser foot is too loose, it will not grip the fabric.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:13 PM

I have no idea about the 6233, but later machines often have pressure foot adjustments that are not on the top of the machine.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:13 PM

Here's the manual for it. For trouble shooting problems with fabric feed it suggest to check for presser foot correctly on and I guess in your case, double check the right kind of presser foot to begin with. Presser foot has to be correcly lowered, as well as stich length adjustment. There's nothing mentioned about presser bar adjustments at all. From the parts list it looks like there might be adjustent for the presser bar and parts related to the feed dogs. I can't find a word about lubricating at all, there's usually warnings about not to oil if it's so.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:09 PM

Oh, MIckey2, you are a genius! I checked the foot and it is a Singer snap on, has the correct J on it, but it may indeed be the wrong one. I've checked all the other things like clean, oiled, took out and replaced the bobbin holder, etc. Next I'm going to check the feed dogs and make sure all the parts it says are there are actually there. I might try a shim under them and see if it helps.
And this weird machine doesn't have a way to lower the feed dogs, it comes with a little plastic plate to put over them to block them. Really strange.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:20 PM

OK, Houston, we have a problem. The stitch width doesn't work at all. Haven't checked upstairs, but its probably a broken plastic part of the cam system. Do we have a certain place for parting out machines? Cause I think that's what's gonna go on here. Too bad, I was kinda starting to like this one, in spite of the fact that its a slant shank, which, for unknown reasons, I have a bias against.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:29 AM

I hope it's not as flooded :- |

Lots of the older machines have feed dog cover, but yours didn't look that old (1970s?). You should not be put of by slant shanks as far as I know, some of the best machines are. I agree with your though, not all are worth it, plastic parts and filmsy builds,etc, but the 400 numbers, and some in the 500 and 600 numbers are all metal geared and very well behaved. Some find the Touch&Sew machines very bothersome, but it's the fancy bobbin functions and settings, not the slant shank foot. A lot of the slant shanks are standard class 66 bobbin case.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:09 AM

Welcome themadpatter

In addition to the manual Mickey2 linked to - http://www.singerco.com/uploads/download/1314_6233.pdf
and https://c.searspartsdirect.com/mmh/l...M/L0903083.pdf I found this last one a couple years ago when I was looking for some Kenmore manuals. I thought it strange that it said Singer on it. I noticed the slant shank and thought it strange. Does your machine have the air type controller or kenmore type controller?
Maybe you can find a service manual for a similar machine.

I have been working on some of the more modern 'vintage' machines. I'm not sure if it will help or if you want but because there are so many very similar machines with different names and 'features' I'm wondering if https://c.searspartsdirect.com/mmh/p...M/L0612394.pdf might help with feed dogs and maybe zig zag adjustment.

I have a Janome 3128 and recently a Kenmore 385.112063 that have the same innards, but different colored clothing. I was also able to find service manuals for both. They are a little different as there are gauges mentioned in one that aren't in the other.

I'm pretty sure the J foot should work. It has a groove in the bottom making it a better foot for satin and wide zigzags.

I found I liked the slant shank for regular stitching, but not for sewing buttons on, even with the correct foot.

If you find a service manual for a similar machine, I'd like to know where. I have an aunt that recently got a machine that is kind of similar so would like to add it to my 'arsenal' of service manuals.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:29 AM

Unless you like it a lot I wouldn't spend too much time and effort on it. It has to be a model worth it, and not all of newer vintage machine are. Some are, and you are the one with the machine in front of you. Some models are worth the time and effort it takes to fix them up or hand them in for a full service. I lean towards a bit older machines, I prefer all metal internals, but I accept a few platic gears too because some of my favorite zigzaggers have one or two (like Bernina).