Singer 99K

Old 01-04-2018, 08:52 AM

Default Singer 99K

A Singer 99K is being sold for $100 nearby where I live; says it works great. Is this a good deal? Should I jump on it?
Old 01-04-2018, 10:14 AM

It would have to be pristine with a lot of accessories for me to jump on it. Cabinet? Handcrank?
Old 01-04-2018, 10:31 AM

If it's in very nice, clean shape, complete with accessories, maybe additional extras like zigzagger, buttonholer,..., then it's a good deal. Cabinet or case? If it's missing this or that it's not a good deal. If you keep your eye out and have a bit of patience I guess you will find one at half the price.

Exceptional condition (almost like new), complete with pedal / kneelever, box of accessories etc. doesn't turn up that often and expect to pay a bit more. A fix up machine (nice conditon, complete but needs a good cleaning and new motor belt is often the best buy. It's a bit more work but the price will be lower.

A clean, fully working machine like model 99 is well worth $100, but like most things vintage and second hand, you can always find a better price. It depends upon how picky you are regarding a DIY fixup, repair, any signs of age and use. It's a common model and should turn up now and then in your area. This model is usually very easy to get stitching again and will last you a life time.

A 99 is a 3/4 size straight stitcher, sews nicely and will stitch through anything you expect of a domestic machine; layers of denim is now problem. The later version had a stitch length lever with revese, the earlier had a stitch length knob and no reverse. If you make jeans, jackets and larger items it can be a bit small. On the other hand it's the size that made it popular, and it's just as capable as a full size machine. Maneuvering large bulks of fabric is easier on my 201 and it can be found at much the same price. I think I payed arond $80 for my 201, it's in a small table, and needed a few replacement parts to work again (crumbling motor belt, missing spool pin,...). I have never regretted spending a bit of time and money on it.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:01 AM

Thanks to both of you. I haven't seen it yet, so I have no idea what it contains, but your advice helps in knowing what to look for when I view it this weekend. And, Mickey2, I appreciate all your input as to what is and isn't a good buy. I was going to look this Sat, & I'll let you know what I find. I REALLY want a new machine w/needle down, drop feed dog, etc., abilities, but right now I can't afford one. Thought I'd get this old one to just use for basic sewing, but I may also save my $ for a newer machine. It's just sometimes old ones are so much heartier & made better! Thanks, thanks!
Old 01-04-2018, 12:39 PM

I think many of us here would say "Don't buy a new machine." ( after all we are on the vintage page) But seriously if you have a wish list of features you want, you might start a separate post of "What should I get?" Many older machine can do wonders and are likely to outlast new stuff. And if you get a 99 it will do a bunch of stuff. I have several. Most ( all?) 15s have drop feed dogs. You will also have a chance to learn about your machine. Also, check the cord carefully before you plug it in. Some wiring is dangerous. Oh and if it is a 99 in a bentwood case with the hole for a knee control, make sure the control is there.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:24 PM

My 99 has a feed dog cover I slide over the throat plate and it works well. There are various kinds, I have a screw-on cover too, it works just as well, it came with a buttonholer. 99s can't drop the feed dogs, but a few vintage straight stitchers can. All 201s have this feature, as well as the later style 15 (with the stitch length lever and reverse).

I took my 201 to heart and it has been my favorite machine since I bought it four years ago (I can't remember exactly). It was rather a chance buy, but I can recommend getting an old straight stitcher. I keep a freearm zigzagger too, it has lots of stitch patterns to choose from. If money is an issue keep an eye out on a local auction site or charity store, I'm sure something will turn up at the right price. Models like 99, 66, 15, 201 are very safe buys, all parts are easily found, replacement bobbins and needles are standard as well as feet and accessories (I buy mostly used ones I find on the web). If they look like they are in reasonable shape under layers of dust they will clean up nicely. Old machines from the 1920s and 30s almost always need rewiring if they haven't already been replace. It's rather expensive to have it done, 1950s models and younger tend to have better wiring.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:58 PM

The very first extra machine I got was a 20$ 99. Nothing came with it but, I love it.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:38 AM

Thanks! I had thought about starting a post of "What should I get?" but am afraid I would get swamped w/SOOOO many suggestions, my head would spin! LOL Altho I MAY get people near me willing to sell a newer one. Thanks for advice about cord and knee control. Also when you say 15's have drop feed dogs, is "15" a diff type of Singer? Little confused.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:48 AM

I thought I was responding to Leon. So sorry, not sure how to use this. Am not computer savvy.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:52 AM

Mickey2, when you say you slide the feed dog cover over, is that the way you are able to free-motion quilt? Money is an issue in spending $600 on a newer machine that has all I'm looking for.