Singer 99k

Old 06-06-2020, 03:00 AM

Default Singer 99k

I have been gifted a 99k, which is wonderful, only problem is as soon as plugged in, the machine starts sewing without any pressure on the pedal, can anyone help? The machine is in beautiful condition, sews beautifully without electricity, but I would love to have it working properly. Thanks
Old 06-06-2020, 03:26 AM

Will most likely need a complete rewire as the insulation will be deteriorated which can cause problems like this. Could also be a fault in the foot controller itself but i'd suspect the condition of the wiring itself first. I learned as a kid on a 99K, awesome little machines.
Old 06-06-2020, 03:44 AM

Thanks for this, the wiring on the adapter, foot pedal and plug have been rewired, from the old uk wiring to the modern(colours changed) , but no idea when x
Old 06-06-2020, 03:50 AM

Just because it been rewired once before does not mean that it is in safe working condition. I'd still open it up to investigate

ps: worst case scenario----capacitor in foot controller may need to be replaced

Last edited by Hooligan; 06-06-2020 at 03:52 AM.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by notmorecraft View Post
...only problem is as soon as plugged in, the machine starts sewing without any pressure on the pedal, can anyone help? ...
What kind of plug? If the motor has a plug that plugs into a block like a wall outlet that has an end that plugs into a house outlet and the other is wired into the foot controller, you may have plugged the motor into the light outlet.

LeonF has a thread that shows various plugs for sewing machines at Pictures of electrical connections plugs blocks

Leon said I can use his pictures.

Does it look like (most aren't as well marked as this one )

Or does it look like

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 06-06-2020 at 04:35 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-06-2020, 06:17 AM

Thanks Janey, I was just going to post that Happy virtual meet . Pics later.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:10 AM

None off these, it’s a 99k 31 model, the plug and the foot pedal both connect to a banana shaped connector, which fits into machine. Not sure if it makes a difference that my machine was made in Kilbowie Scotland hence the K in the model and I’m in the UK ( not far from where machine was manufactured) and our wiring is different from US/Canada
Old 06-06-2020, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by notmorecraft View Post
None off these, it’s a 99k 31 model, the plug and the foot pedal both connect to a banana shaped connector, which fits into machine. Not sure if it makes a difference that my machine was made in Kilbowie Scotland hence the K in the model and I’m in the UK ( not far from where machine was manufactured) and our wiring is different from US/Canada
Maybe a picture would help. We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

If it is like I think it is, the wiring on the machine has three pins like shown in the second photo. If so, I think that probably just a couple of wires need to be switched from behind. There are several places on the internet that have Singer wiring diagrams. If it is like I think it is, the best one I think (easiest for me to understand) is https://www.sandman-collectibles.com...ic-3-Prong.gif there are others at https://www.sandman-collectibles.com...tor-wiring.htm but those get confusing for me. I have read where the numbers get confused, maybe because of mirrored numbering??

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 06-06-2020 at 08:10 AM. Reason: add'l info
Old 06-07-2020, 05:19 AM

In Europe the electrical setups usually had capacitors to prevent interference with the electrical signals to appliances like Radio or TV. These can look like two AA batteries with wires on each side, they can be more squarish too. Usually they are some where near the three pin socket on the machine. They can be replaced or simply removed, and it is one of the most common reason for sewing machines to start running on their own. Capacitors deterorate with age and will need to be replaced. The interference is not a big thing, you can simply remove them, but even these days it can interfere with DAB and digital TV signals. There is probably a set of capacitors in the pedal too. You can by replacement sets for the old Singer pedals various places.

Last edited by Mickey2; 06-07-2020 at 05:25 AM.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:22 AM

Thanks Mickey 2 always learning.