Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer Fiddle 12 hand crank & 319K questions >

Singer Fiddle 12 hand crank & 319K questions

Singer Fiddle 12 hand crank & 319K questions

Old 01-18-2014, 04:06 PM
KLO

Default Singer Fiddle 12 hand crank & 319K questions

I have the opportunity to go look at a Singer model 12 hand crank machine with the fiddle base. Not knowing too much about these, I am wondering if parts (such as needles, shuttles, feet, etc.) are difficult to find for this machine. It does not come with any accessories but does have one shuttle in the machine. I would pass on it if I knew that the parts were hard to come by so if any of you experts could give me a quick answer, I would appreciate it. These machines look like they do a nice stitch and since there is not much to them, I gather they are easy to maintain.

There is apparently a Singer 319K available too and I would like to know what you guys think of them also. Actually, same questions apply to this machine. Again, any help is much appreciated. Thanks, KLO

PS: Also forgot to ask if there are manuals out there to download for these machines.

Last edited by KLO; 01-18-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:08 PM

Singer 12 or New family needles, shuttles, and feet are available on ebay, though costly. 3 needles go for $12-$16. Shuttles and attachments would be tougher to find but not impossible. Millions of these were made. I had a treadle 12 and am not a fan personally but I suppose it was a wonderful improvement in its day. A hand crank might be nicer.

The 319 uses 206x13 needles which are available from sew classic for $8 for 10 needles. I hear mixed reviews but have never used one.

Ismacs should have manuals on both.

Jon
Old 01-18-2014, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by KLO View Post
I have the opportunity to go look at a Singer model 12 hand crank machine with the fiddle base. Not knowing too much about these, I am wondering if parts (such as needles, shuttles, feet, etc.) are difficult to find for this machine. It does not come with any accessories but does have one shuttle in the machine. I would pass on it if I knew that the parts were hard to come by so if any of you experts could give me a quick answer, I would appreciate it. These machines look like they do a nice stitch and since there is not much to them, I gather they are easy to maintain.

There is apparently a Singer 319K available too and I would like to know what you guys think of them also. Actually, same questions apply to this machine. Again, any help is much appreciated. Thanks, KLO

PS: Also forgot to ask if there are manuals out there to download for these machines.
By shuttle, are you referring to bobbins? The shuttle is the thing the bobbin sits in, and the bobbin is, well, the thing that holds the thread. Shuttles are hard to find but bobbins aren't. Good thing is that you only need one shuttle.

319Ks are really nice machines. Zig-zag built-in, patterns a-plenty built-in with the added ability to use flat cams, and they are very good at free motion work (with a darning foot). Needles in sizes 12 and 14 are still being produced but that's all. Twin needles are quite hard to find for decorative work. All in all, very nice machines though for dress making or free motion work.

Google for your manuals. They're extremely easy to find from Singer and ISMACS.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:53 AM
KLO

Jon, thanks for the feedback on these machines. The one I am suppose to go see looks like it could be converted to a treadle but since I already have two treadles, I thought the hand crank would be nice to acquire. I don't like that the needles are so pricey though.

manicmike, Opps, sorry, I did mean bobbin not shuttle. Good to know that the bullet bobbins are not too hard to find since there is only one available with the machine. And thanks for the good review on the 319K. The fact that they are good at free motion quilting is a big plus although I wonder about the size of the harp area. Good for dressmaking, huh. Cannot remember the last time I made a dress but I suppose you mean it would be good for all clothing making projects. Looks like this machine has a manual although a bit chewed up so that is not a worry I guess for this machine. The hand crank does not have anything with it except the bobbin so I will have to think about that.