Singer Industrial

Old 11-16-2020, 03:48 PM

Default Singer Industrial

I see an old Singer model 241-12 listed in local marketplace. Serial # G446821 (could also be AG446821 as photo is not clear). Anyone know anything about this machine? Is this a heavy duty suitable for leather, canvas, heavy fabric and multi-layered materials? Price seems pretty fair, but looks like it needs thorough cleaning. Anyone got any knowledge on this??
Thanks!
Denny
Old 11-16-2020, 05:44 PM

ya know after further investigation, for $150 and what I initially thought it was, I guess it's not worth that much to me. Sounds like it has oil lubrication system with reservoir, 5/16" foot height, and no walking foot, it will not really sew some of the leather projects I have thought about. It looks like a decent unit, but not quite what I wanted....good for heavy fabrics, but not for heavy leather. Still interested in your thoughts....
Old 11-16-2020, 05:47 PM

The manual found at https://www.manualslib.com/manual/36...41.html#manual appears to indicate that the 241-12 is for medium to medium heavy fabric. It does not mention leather.

I also did a google search and found that it is mentioned at leatherworker several times, but the first one I read was https://leatherworker.net/forum/topi...strial-241-12/ and I got that maybe one would not want to use it on leather.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

ETA: looks like you may have found the same post I did.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 11-16-2020 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:12 AM

If you're somewhat serious about leather work, then i would highly recommend a dedicated machine. Any other machine not built for the purpose will only be a let down
I personally don't do enough leather-work to warrant the cost of an extra machine but i did invest in good quality hand tools to give good quality work...just takes longer