Singer Model 115 Treadle

Old 05-15-2016, 06:08 AM

Default Singer Model 115 Treadle

This is a Singer Model 115 Treadle with a mfg date of May 3, 1916. It is a rotary hook machine and I didn't have one so I purchased this machine for $40. I have a treadle Model 66 that has an oscillating hook mechanism. This machine was badly in need of some maintenance and TLC. It was very hard to turn when we first got it. But we oiled it well and put a nice coating of grease on it and now you can turn it with one finger. It turns so smoothly. It also cleaned up nicely. Now we need to get to work on the cabinet although it is in pretty good shape.
Attached Thumbnails singer-115-treadle-cabinet.jpg   singer-115-treadle.jpg   singer-115-before-cleaning-resized.jpg   singer-115-back-machine-resized.jpg   singer-115-face-plate-resized.jpg  

singer-115-center-decal-resized.jpg   rotary-hook-resized.jpg   singer-115-after-cleaning-full-machine-resized.jpg  
Old 05-15-2016, 09:04 AM

It looks superb, just light wear to decals, and in very good over all condition. I wish it was I who came across a 115, the price was good too ;- )

I think these models run best on oil, grease actually slow them down a bit; at least compared to Finish Line Ceramic and Triflow oil. I have noticed this on the 201 and the 15, once cleaned up they run a notch or two smoother. It's not a big issue, but I have noticed many go for grease even when it's not strictly necessary.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:09 AM

wow....that cleaned up nicely.....great find.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:41 AM
Banned

Beautiful! You did a nice job, hope the cabinet comes out as nice as the machine did.

Cari
Old 05-15-2016, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
It looks superb, just light wear to decals, and in very good over all condition. I wish it was I who came across a 115, the price was good too ;- )

I think these models run best on oil, grease actually slow them down a bit; at least compared to Finish Line Ceramic and Triflow oil. I have noticed this on the 201 and the 15, once cleaned up they run a notch or two smoother. It's not a big issue, but I have noticed many go for grease even when it's not strictly necessary.
You mean you would use oil on the gears? I just figured that gears always take grease.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:32 PM

Yes, I think Singer generally adviced oil even on meshing gears up until some time in the 50s. Exception was for the potted motor version of the 201, 101 and 15, and to begin with only the gears near the motor and behind the hand wheel. My 1950 201K with a belt driven motor (as well as treadle version, and hand crank) only show oil points in the manual, no mention of grease at all. There is even an oil point in the body near the base (under the stitch length lever) to reach one set of these gears. The others are reached, once from behind the round lid in the back and the other under the bobbin case from an oil point above.

In the late 50s this change, I know the 401 manual call for grease on the meshing gears. The advantage with grease is less frequent applications and there is no chance of excess oil seeping into places where it shouldn't be (motor); but oil often comes out better where it easily can be applied more frequent. I have tested, oil coats the gears well, doesn't spin off even on high speeds. When I use Finish Line Ceramic Wet lube it last a few days before I need to oil again (unless it's used a lot), and it even runs smoother than with grease. Either way, you can try both and notice the difference first hand for the 115. I would love to get any feedback on the subject :- )

Last edited by Mickey2; 05-15-2016 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:30 PM

Very Nice!! I wish my 15-30 Tiffany machine looked so good.

Did you get a manual with it? The manual at http://www.singerco.com/support/machine-model-numbers for the 115 shows a different machine in the manual that is not a 115. The manual for a 115 can be found at http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...2683/index.htm

Have fun.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:13 PM

Very lucky find, thank you for sharing!

The only place I would use grease would be a very light oil on ball berrings since they're such a (comparatively) large exposed surface just oil tends to run off. From what I know, on these very old machines grease will rarely do harm but the machines won't run quite as well as with oil.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:31 AM

Red face oops - wrong link to manual

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
Did you get a manual with it? The manual at http://www.singerco.com/support/machine-model-numbers for the 115 shows a different machine in the manual that is not a 115.
Sorry That is the wrong link to Singer manuals it should be
http://www.singerco.com/support/instruction-manuals

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:47 AM

I also love the sewing basket on the foot. I have one about like it. It is about as much of a treasure as the machine.