Which Singer model 15?

Old 06-18-2013, 09:02 AM

What I can see in these pictures looks like a 15-88, although I know nothing about the 15-96 and you appear to. On the 15-91 the rear inspection plate is removed and the motor attaches directly into the machine, I believe gear driven. On the 15-88 the motor sits low behind the column and is held in place with a large screw on the side of the column below the hand wheel (you can see the protrusion in the above picture but I don't know what other models may have that protrusion). The motor on the 15-88 has a small wheel that lines up with the handwheel of the machine and a short belt goes between the two, in place of the treadle belt. There is a rod that attaches to the treadle peddle and goes up to the machine or motor instead of a cord. I don't have a good picture of that part of the machine, but I'm going there next week and will try to get some pictures.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:24 PM

Default An electric 15-88, as promised

Here are pictures of my mom's 1935 15-88 with motor. Dad bought the machine as a treadle in October 1935. In December the salesman came around trying to get her to trade it in for an electric model. Mom couldn't understand why she should trade in a brand new machine, but when she told Dad about it he thought the electric was a good idea and went to the dealer, bought the motor, and installed it.

The first picture shows the entire pedal to controller rod mechanism. I believe the rod was originally attached to the flywheel for treadle operation (forgot to ask Mom).

The second picture is a closer view of the rod attached to the treadle; the third picture shows the rod attached to the motor controller.

The fourth and fifth pictures show the controller with the rod attached at the bottom and the wire going from the top of the machine up to the motor.

The last 2 pictures show the motor (white) attached to the column, and the belt from the motor to the hand wheel.

The white cord and upper bracket in the last picture are for the light which must be turned on for the motor to operate.

Please feel free to PM or post a reply if you have any questions.
Attached Thumbnails 006-red.jpg   007-red.jpg   020-red.jpg   022-red.jpg   023-red.jpg  

002.jpg   003-red.jpg  

Last edited by ShirlinAZ; 07-04-2013 at 01:27 PM.