Singer model 15 - AJ?

Old 03-21-2022, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by JoeJr View Post
Basically that's what I mean. I don't sew much, but I do like to work on machines, and at any given time have a number of them cleaned up and just sitting there (currently 18 with 5 more needing servicing). A while back I started a thread about "parking" a machine
https://www.quiltingboard.com/vbulle...e-t312178.html
which might help explain my comment.
Oh that makes sense. That's actually a good thread for me to read, my cousin is sending me a 66 that seems to just need the timing to be fixed. Not sure how to do that but I'm ready to learn. So I'll definitely read that thread on parking the machine as I'll probably use my 15-91 over the 66. Or I might possibly sell it as I really want a 31-15.
Old 03-21-2022, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
It is generally recommended on these old black machines that it should be wiped down with sewing machine oil. There are a couple of threads about it at How to Clean Up and use a vintage sewing machine - videos by Muv and Fav and Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads

That is a great cabinet. If it is decent shape, I would recommend "reviving it" by following the instructions at Cleaning and Reviving furniture(Sewing cabinets)

Right.

I'm not sure what you mean? If the plug fits, it does not matter which foot controller (aka pedal) is used.

Yes, loosen it when not in use. You just have to remember to tighten it when you go to sew. It doesn't feed fabric very well when loose.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
The guy that sold it to me said "he wanted to clean up the machine before I picked it up and he used all purpose cleaner so it faded some decals" and I almost had a mini stroke for a second. So I'm sure I'm going to have to redo the shellac. I watched a video on that and it seem pretty easy, just has a long wait time but I'm going to check out the links you posted.

The cabinet is in great shape, even has the original spool rack and an oil can holder. I wanted to sand her down a bit and give her a deeper stain but I wasn't sure if that would be 'disrespectful' to the vintage quality. But I would prefer a much deeper finish so not sure what your thoughts are on that.

The pedal does fit, just mentioning it's not the button foot which works out cause this one looks a bit cooler.

But definitely loosened the screw up while I rewired the machine and just waiting on a new 3 pin terminal to connect all my new wires to.

Now I was debating on trying to ground the machine.... I'm still on the fence and not sure if anyones done that before, but it seems like a good idea.
Old 03-21-2022, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
It is generally recommended on these old black machines that it should be wiped down with sewing machine oil. There are a couple of threads about it at How to Clean Up and use a vintage sewing machine - videos by Muv and Fav and Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads

That is a great cabinet. If it is decent shape, I would recommend "reviving it" by following the instructions at Cleaning and Reviving furniture(Sewing cabinets)

Right.

I'm not sure what you mean? If the plug fits, it does not matter which foot controller (aka pedal) is used.

Yes, loosen it when not in use. You just have to remember to tighten it when you go to sew. It doesn't feed fabric very well when loose.

Correction, I have a cabinet No. 65. So not actually as nice. I just caught a quick glance at the pic yesterday and ran with that. So my tables a little less attractive than the 42 but no worries.
Old 03-21-2022, 06:44 PM

I would still suggest Cleaning and Reviving furniture(Sewing cabinets) as it really is amazing the difference is made in the looks by just cleaning the wood using Glenn's method.

Old 03-24-2022, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by JoeJr View Post
You should use only sewing machine oil, including for cleaning the surface of the machine. There are different brands, and I don't think they're all the same, I have no brand recommendation, I just make sure it says sewing machine oil and that it's clear. You can use petroleum jelly (I think the original formula for Vaseline) to re-grease the motor (there are grease cups on the underside). I look here for parts first:
https://www.vintagesingerparts.com/
I have no affiliation with the company. And you can find the user and adjuster's manual for your machine there.
I officially got the wires refreshed and got a new 3 prong terminal. I did connect the motor, light and controller to the male 3 prong attached to the machine and the power outlet attached to the female terminal. Most online tutorials and blogs mentioned putting the controller with the power outlet in the female terminal but I couldn't fit all 4 wires into the terminal. So the 3 parts connected to the machine. BUT it works!! First time since I bought it have I been able to sew a stitch.

But the machine is filthy so time to clean. I know you mentioned petroleum jelly to use as grease, I read somewhere that petroleum wasn't good to use as grease so I'm just curious what you experience with that is. Or if there is something else I should buy. And how often should I grease? I think I read like once a year or something.
Old 03-25-2022, 05:19 AM

Use petroleum jelly in the grease cups of the potted motor, only. I use tri-flow grease for the other areas that need grease, like the gears. Others may use different grease for the gears. I think everyone agrees on petroleum jelly for the grease cups, only.

bkay
Old 03-25-2022, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
Use petroleum jelly in the grease cups of the potted motor, only. I use tri-flow grease for the other areas that need grease, like the gears. Others may use different grease for the gears. I think everyone agrees on petroleum jelly for the grease cups, only.

bkay
okay that makes more sense. Okay now to find triflow. It’s kind of annoying that I have to order it and it’s not so easy to find but, tis life. Okay. So I have singer oil, which I heard spoils quicker than other oils. So I’ll have to pay attention for color changes. PJ in grease cups only. TriFlow on gears. Got it!

You guys are the best!!!
Old 03-25-2022, 07:31 AM

My Tri-Flow grease seems to be thinner than petroleum jelly. I would be tempted to use petroleum jelly on the gears, too. After all, Singer did not have a different product for the grease cups and the gears. I know you should not use Tri-Flow for the grease cups. Just my 2¢

Old 03-25-2022, 08:01 AM

Ok, I did a little further research. More is needed. There were two products "Singer Lubricant" and "Singer Motor Lubricant"
There seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there. Best gear lubricant for Singer 401? Which has this page from a Singer Manual with the last copyright 1941

Old 03-25-2022, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post

bkay
okay that seems to be the safest bet. It’s so frustrating trying to find out all this info. And I’m terrified I’ll ruin the machine and waste all this money repairing it.

Next question is about WICKS. Are there supposed to be wicks in the grease cups. I’ve never seen anyone take them out of the grease cups in videos so I assumed there were none there. But that could just be because my machine didn’t come with wicks in the grease cups.

I did notice a wick in the needle bar. So I want to replace that. Just to be OCD.