singer model #99 needle plate

Old 04-30-2014, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Why is it a pre-requisite? Is there some internet rule that says a person must search for something he or she is looking for before they ask for help? If so, please post it and all pertinent information about it.

And Mike, In all the times I've been told, and I've seen others told, they must Google it first, NOT ONE has shared this "Let me Google it for you." link. Not one. Nice secret you Google lovers have been keeping. I'll try it, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Sorry I this post offends Mike or anyone else, but this "you must search for first BS has me
( __________ ) this time.

Joe
I'm not offended (OK I was slightly annoyed) and I understand your frustration. Steve has already given you the 'how it works' of search engines.
Labelling or insulting people who are also frustrated (because they spend a lot of their time doing very very basic searches for others) won't make anything better. Like Steve, I have been an IT professional for decades, but I'm also a teacher.
I expected that if you have gotten as far as signing up to something (e.g. QB) and have been using it and the Internet for years then surely you must have learned to perform a basic search. Google also has "advanced search" and help links from nearly all of it pages. The sponsored links are clearly marked too, by the way.
People who know how to do it just get sick of people asking them to do something they should already know or can very easily learn.

If you clicked the help (which you obviously should if you don't get the results you want), you would learn how to use the search engine to your advantage. If you then start using advanced search, you'll learn how to narrow the results down more.

Now that you've alerted me to my offensive behaviour I will stop performing searches for anyone who asks.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:37 PM

My husband is always asking me to search or find something on the internet.. actually I feel honored to be able to help him with his searches as do most of us here who can help one another out. (I've also worked in the computer field since before PC's were available), so yes...some of us have come a long way baby, and that's why it's more natural for some of us. Happy to help when needed, and blessed to be able.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:46 PM

Wow, sorry I opened a can of worms. I will try to be more careful about asking for help in the future.

Marge
Old 04-30-2014, 09:09 PM

Please Marge, always ask for help. Never worry about it. Someone is ALWAYS happy to help.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by marge View Post
Wow, sorry I opened a can of worms. I will try to be more careful about asking for help in the future.

Marge
i did send you couple of links to the part that you're looking for. did you get a chance to check them. in any case just howl or message me and i will be more than willing to help you out.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
Please Marge, always ask for help. Never worry about it. Someone is ALWAYS happy to help.
I'm always happy to help Marge but from almost 20 years as a teacher, everyone's best educator is themselves. The link to lmgtfy.com was meant to be humourous, educational and helpful.

If people want to demonise me, I won't tell them go to Google
Old 04-30-2014, 11:22 PM

I have an idea. Create a sticky thread containing a list of useful places on the Internet (such as ISMACS, the old needlebar site, yahoo groups) as well as hints on searching. I give Joe credit for having the guts to admit he doesn't know how to search, most people won't admit this, but I believe such a thread would help a lot of people.

Of course I'm all about helping people

Could call it "List of vintage machine resources and how to search the web".

Anyone have thoughts on this? Can also include links to manuals not easily found (actually that'd come under resources). If anyone has scanned or photographed their hard to find (free) manual, I'd be happy to turn it into a pdf (and/or teach you how to do it yourself).
Old 05-01-2014, 05:17 AM

I wish we did have a sticky of all the links. Tammi and I discussed at one point that you can't google the tfsr information easily.
People involved with this group are highly knowledgeable about restoring and working on machines, there's a lot of experience. I'm glad I've gotten to know people here. I learn something new all the time.

How people use the internet is individual. If you are knowledgeable about a subject it's easy to google and come up with a right answer. If you are new to it, or it would appear on page 2 of the results, some people won't find it. They should feel comfortable to come here and ask. Some folks don't have a good connection speed, I can't imagine the frustration of someone trying to visit a photo tutorial (especially if the photos are RAW) on dial up. Or youtube for that matter.

Personally, I love to google things for other people, I love to help no matter how small, that's how I am.

IT guys aren't always the ones to ask for google help. It's like wanting a World Book type answer and instead you get a college library section sort of answer. It's hard to pour 20 years worth of water into a 16 oz glass.

Anyhoo, I'm not demonizing you Mike, just playing devil's advocate.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
...Now that you've alerted me to my offensive behaviour I will stop performing searches for anyone who asks.
Honestly, I was in sync with your reply until this...

Anyone can feel free to ask anytime. I love doing research AND helping. if I can teach a little along the way that is a Plus...
Old 05-01-2014, 08:34 AM

Mike,

I am old school. I still write with a fountain pen. I still own and use typewriters. I still write hand written letters on paper and send them via the USPS in an envelope with an old fashioned stamp. I still have a black and white tv, although it won't work cos it's analog and I don't have a digital converter box for it.
My cell phone is not a "smart phone". It won't take pictures, won't do the internet, won't do anything but make phone calls and texts.
I still own a rotary telephone.
I'm an analog person in a digital age.

I've been on the internet since Y2K ( remember that scare scam?) and for the life of me my brain is just not wired for all the nonsense that is needed to do a search.
When I offer help to someone it's because I have that info on hand and am willing to share it. If I have to do a blind search for it on Google or any other search engine you will not see me offer the help. By the time I found it, if I did, 15 other people will have already posted the answers.

MY brain just cannot fathom this computer jargon.
I'm not a teacher, nor have I ever worked in the IT ( whatever that is ). Pretty much all I know how to do is turn the damn thing on and use the basic features.

I've already apologized for any offense, so all I'll add is I do appreciate the help I get, and I say so in a Thank You when I get it.

Joe