Singer Red Eye

Old 04-13-2012, 09:59 AM

Question Singer Red Eye

Just wondering about this machine.....I've heard 'red eyes' are very collectible...is it worth it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190663990524...84.m1438.l2649
Old 04-13-2012, 10:23 AM

Nice machine, but I would not pay $60.00 shipping on top of the winning bid. They are not that rare. I vote = pass.

Joe
Old 04-13-2012, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Nice machine, but I would not pay $60.00 shipping on top of the winning bid. They are not that rare. I vote = pass.

Joe
The seller said he would charge $60.00 but refund the actual cost of the shipping charges. This looks like a nice machine but I actually wondered about the motor on the back...is that an original? Looks like it would actually get in the way when installed in my treadle cabinet.

I think I'll let this one go and opt for another machine that is actually a treadle machine. On other thread I'm looking for others ideas and thoughts on the best type of treadle machine....just in case I decide one day to put one in my treadle cabinet.

Still looking for the hinges to come in the mail to install my Singe 403A in the treadle cabinet...hoping it works.

In the meantime, will keep looking......
Old 04-13-2012, 11:04 AM

That machine is gorgeous.

The machine can be treadled, simply remove the motor, an easy task. Notice tho, that the bobbin cover plate is missing. Easy replacement, they often go missing because folks don't know how to put them on....they slide on from right to left, instead of from the left to right... when you try to put them on from left to right (from the end of the machine pushing in) they don't "catch" and won't stay on....
Old 04-13-2012, 11:14 AM

When you put a machine in a treadle, you actually remove the motor. The regular style motors are held on by one single screw at the right side, just behind and below the hand wheel. That motor is one I've never seen in person. However it's attached it would be removed for treadle use.

When I say the $60.00 is too much for shipping I say that from those we have won through GW. "MOST" of them shipped between $25.00 and $35.00. That is from places as far away as Washington State.
"Generally" shipping runs just over a dollar a pound. That machine in that case might go 45 pounds. So I consider the price he stated as excessive.
You are right, that is a really nice machine though.

I'm not sure where you are, but orders from Sew-Classic generally take 3 days to get to me. If I order on Wednesday, I'll have it Saturday.
So your order will probably be to you tomorrow. Mine too, I ordered another batch of specialty presser feet Wednesday.

Joe
Old 04-13-2012, 11:35 AM

I'd make sure the seller has shipping experience with SM's or you might have a mess. Beautiful machine though.

Jon
Old 04-14-2012, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Stitch124 View Post
I've heard 'red eyes' are very collectible...
The motor setup shown is somewhat unusual. I don’t believe that I’ve ever seen a Singer 66-1 with a Singer Hamilton/Beach-type friction-drive motor on it before. It appears that the motor mount attaches to the regular “boss” under the hand wheel, which is different than most H/B motor mounts that I’ve seen that are bolted directly to the back surface of the pillar. It looks like the electrical terminal is bolted directly to the pillar.

(BTW: In the photos, the motor is in the “stowed” position, and will be rotated around for the friction-drive motor pulley to make contact with the rim of the hand wheel during use. A spring, relaxed when stowed, pulls the motor toward the wheel when in use.)

Chances are good that this machine setup came from Singer, but I wouldn’t swear to it. Still, I think it’s unusual, and probably “collectible”. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 04-15-2012, 10:53 AM

My daughter just rescued a Treadle # G4994196 so that is 1916 it is in really nice condition except for lots of dust
she is taking some pictures now and will send them in the next hour..... do not know the model # but she says it has egyptian design
Old 04-15-2012, 01:46 PM

I would buy that machine in a heart beat. Where I live they are very hard to get & that one is BEAUTIFUL. Come on now, we are not talking thousands of dollars here. I don't have tons of money just like everyone else, but I would do without something so I could get it.I would somehow work something out. It is a beauty.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post

Joe
Hi Joe, I've been looking for one of them for a while but ship. is always high $$$
Will you find me one just as nice??? pretty, Pretty please!! Thank you~Gina