Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer sewing machine at Goodwill >

Singer sewing machine at Goodwill

Singer sewing machine at Goodwill

Old 12-14-2013, 05:16 AM

Wow! It looks like it is in great shape! I found a Pink Atlas in our Goodwill for $10. Unfortunately, I haven't done anything with my vintage machines- except my FW. That one i use all the time.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:22 AM

Totally agree with Candace. I keep mine set up for FMQing and I just love it. BTW that was an awesome price.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

Great score!!!!
Old 12-14-2013, 07:24 AM

$6 for a Singer in a cabinet is crazy.

Even the broken, filthy, stinky, and/or nicotine stained machines in broken cases are usually priced at $20+ around here.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by mary74 View Post
I picked up this Singer sewing machine at Goodwill. Does anyone know anything about it? It was only $6, and I had a pickup, so I thought it must be my lucky day!
I also scored a Singer model AH458923 I look this one up it is 1948 year , and a Bicor VX1005 I think it is put out by Brother not sure the Foot Controller says it came out in 1994.I have to rewire the Singer but other than that is seems ok.I just love it Help me pick out names for her ladies and gents. thanks.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:49 PM

Oh my goodness, just what I need. I guess I'll just keep on waiting and watching. My turn will come......
Old 12-14-2013, 06:09 PM

What a score!!
Old 12-15-2013, 04:29 AM

Oh Mary, you did good! I have 2 15-91s, 1 at my cabin, and I just bought another one last week for the winter place. I'm looking for a 3rd one because my SIL wants one. Why???? FMQ!! It's great. It's the only vintage singer that I've found that you can drop the feed dogs. And, it does a better job of FMQ than the fancy expensive Viking I have. My DH ask me the other day if I ever use that machine anymore.... I don't use it much. I like the vintage machines so well.

Print yourself a manual off ismacs.com and it will show you how to drop feed dogs. There is a small screw under the machine, near the front slide plate that you turn and it will lower those dogs. If you want to sew again, just turn that screw again and the dogs go back up.

I bought a darning foot from sewclassic.com that works great. I did have to take the thread cutter off the presser bar.... it just slides off... well, I had to wiggle it off. And after cleaning everything and oiling the machine, I adjusted the tension for FMQ and quilted ..... it was that easy. I plan to leave it set up for FMQ and use my other vintage machines for piecing and other sewing. I might set one up with a walking foot for straight quilting. It's so much easier to have several machines set up rather than having to change the foot for every little thing I have to do.

And, you're going to love having it in a cabinet. When you're quilting a large quilt, the machine doesn't scoot all over the place. So, clean it up and have some fun. You know we're all going to want to see what you make with it. I'm so excited for you.... can you tell?
Old 12-15-2013, 05:57 AM

Thanks for all the information Jean. I really appreciate the website for the manual and your enthusiasm.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:58 AM

That's one machine I am still looking for my collection. I don't have a 15-91 yet. That's really a nice one. So you went to Goodwill and bought a shirt that comes with a free sewing machine. Nice.