Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer Slant-O-Matic 500A "Rocketeer" >

Singer Slant-O-Matic 500A "Rocketeer"

Singer Slant-O-Matic 500A "Rocketeer"

Old 11-27-2014, 05:48 PM

Congratulations on your Rocketeer, cabinet, and goodies. Use two hands to open the door over and to the side of the needle bar as it breaks easily and is difficult to repair. The hinges are not strong enough. Brace it with your hands and open very carefully. Be gentle. It's rare -- at least in this area -- to find a machine in the shape yours is, and with the needle bar door still intact, too.

I was given a Singer 500 (in a cabinet, with attachments) which is cosmetically as nice as yours. It took more than 15 hours to get that machine cleaned, oiled, lubed, and into proper sewing condition, as it had not been used in many years. Someone had fooled with lots of screws and settings, also. People on this board had very helpful suggestions for what how to adjust it at various points. (Thank you all so much!) It sews beautifully now and I use it often.

Cricket
Old 11-27-2014, 06:05 PM
Power Poster

The weird thing is I never seem to have to fuss so much with a 503. IMHO they are the better machine.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:22 PM

That is my main machine I bought it before my children started school in Bainbridge, MD they are now in their late 50's. I paid on it monthly. I still have it, had it cleaned recently and its my go to machine. I have a Singer Futura but don't hardly use it because I love my slant one. Hope you got all the cams that go with it too.??
Old 11-27-2014, 08:59 PM

Beautiful machine with a nice price point too!!!
Old 11-27-2014, 10:23 PM

I have all of the slantomatics different stylesnand the Rockateer is my absolute favorite! I have sewn with all of them and she sews the best and is the most fun to play with...at least for me.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:29 AM

cricket_iscute, one of the pins was out of the little door, so my DH made a new pin and fixed it in no time flat. Great job, and it works perfectly. The bobbin winder rubber thing had deteriorated so I ordered a package (contained two) so he replaced it as well. Everything now seems perfectly in shape.