Singer touch & sew 620

Old 05-27-2021, 08:51 PM

Default Singer touch & sew 620

Hi! I'm a Newbie to this site. I inherited a Singer Touch and Sew model 620 many years ago. It is in a very nice cabinet, has what seems to be PLENTY of accessories and the original manual. One of the plastic gears is broken. Being I am not a seamstress, I would like to find out if there is a market for it, or at least the nice cabinet. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you
Old 05-28-2021, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Pjnugget View Post
Hi! I'm a Newbie to this site. I inherited a Singer Touch and Sew model 620 many years ago. It is in a very nice cabinet, has what seems to be PLENTY of accessories and the original manual. One of the plastic gears is broken. Being I am not a seamstress, I would like to find out if there is a market for it, or at least the nice cabinet. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you
There is no market for the machine. There's more than one set of plastic gears, so it's expensive to have them repaired. There might be a small market for the cabinet. Only older/vintage sewing machines will fit in that cabinet. Kenmore won't fit in it, but most other vintage machines will. I'd try craigslist or offerup.
bkay

edit: Most of the accessories will also fit on the 300, 400 and 500 series Singer machines. There might be someone looking for those. Again, craigslist or offerup type venues would probably be the best place to try selling them.

Last edited by bkay; 05-28-2021 at 04:35 AM.
Old 05-28-2021, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
Most of the accessories will also fit on the 300, 400 and 500 series Singer machines. There might be someone looking for those. Again, craigslist or offerup type venues would probably be the best place to try selling them.
I second this comment. The cams (little black top hat things) are marketable. If you have a buttonholer or a monogrammer those will sell too --- just make sure you state they are for a slant needle machine. If you include the bobbins and feet, you may be able to put together an accessory package for someone who bought just the machine.

Have a great day!
Old 05-28-2021, 04:53 AM

The bobbins won't fit anything except a touch and sew. The 301 won't use the cams or some of the feet, but the 400 and 500 will use most all the accessories.
bkay
Old 05-28-2021, 06:35 AM

That's too bad. I was hoping it might be usable to someone for repair parts. I appreciate all of your information and suggestions. I have some investigating and learning to do with respect to pricing and online selling sites. :-) Have a great weekend!
Old 05-28-2021, 10:46 AM

That's too bad. I was hoping it might be usable to someone for repair parts. I appreciate all of your information and suggestions. I have some investigating and learning to do with respect to pricing and online selling sites. :-) Have a great weekend!
The problem with touch and sews are that the gears go in all of them eventually. I have one (I bought it new) that still works, but have junked quite a few. I used them when I was tutoring a 5th grade TAG class in quilting. They are easy for children to use as they have a "slow" setting. Leon sent me one that worked about 3 weeks. I once bought about 20 different machines at an auction. All of the T&S had broken gears (4, I think). I did send some parts to Terry at TandTrepair.com for postage. It all comes down to the gear problem. If I remember correctly, the gears are about $65.00. Then with labor, you're talking close to $200.00 in repairs on a 45 year old sewing machine. Also, it's not so well made that it's worth spending that kind of money on. If you really wanted a great vintage machine, it wouldn't be that one. Sorry.

On the bright side, you don't have money invested in it.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 05-28-2021 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-28-2021, 11:12 AM

As a source of repair parts, the machine may have some use to someone, but as bkay says repairing your actual machine is not cost effective. I replaced gears on a T&S once, and one of them shredded not very long after, so not anymore. Plus depending on the T&S model one video I watched started off by using a dremel to remove something in the way to get to the gears...that's when I said forget it. There are a few T&Ss with metal gears, a 603 being one of them. I actually contacted Central Michigan Supply, who sells T&S parts, asking if they wanted some machines for parts, they said they have too many of them already.

But also as pointed out, the accessories could have value to someone with a compatible machine, this could include needle plates, feet, etc.
Old 05-29-2021, 07:27 AM

that's too bad to hear - I have fond memories of sewing on a T&S as a teenager.
Old 01-27-2024, 02:56 PM

Default 620 parts

I know this is super old, but any chance you still have the 620? I have a need for a few parts.
Old 01-27-2024, 09:18 PM

Default 620 parts....so sorry

Hi,
Unfortunately I disassembled the machine this past summer. So sorry. I do still have the cabinet and the accessories, though.