Singerlight Repairable??

Old 05-27-2020, 09:09 AM

Default Singerlight Repairable??

Of the half dozen or so variations of the Singerlight I have encountered, there is one model that I have yet to be able to disassemble in order to replace the old wiring. The body of the light appears to be two plastic halves that are held together solely by three metal split rings. I'm tempted to say this model is simply not user-repairable, but would like to know if anyone has found a way to do so.

Attached Thumbnails img_2870.jpeg  
Old 05-27-2020, 10:33 AM

I repaired one of those about 2 months ago, from a 15-90. The wiring was ruined almost all the way into the light. It was a bear getting the rings off of it, of course I didn't search ahead of time to see how. But, it went back together and onto the machine and turns on/off again. While it was apart I sanded all the contact points in the switch to make them shiny again.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:26 AM

What tool(s) or method did you use to get the rings off? Just using screwdrivers as miniature pry bars, I could get one ring moved a little, but couldn't figure how to get the 2 big rings past the ON/OFF switch or over the square boss on the bottom. The small ring on the end where the cord comes out I couldn't get it to move at all.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:35 AM

Slide the bulb cover including the lense/glass away from the switch body; it should slide right over the bulb; this will leave the 2 long side clips sticking out but still in the rings.
Pull the 2 long side clips out from under the rings, away from the switch body.
This should allow you to work the rings off the switch body, away from the switch.
The "cord" ring was much tougher to move. I worked it open with a small bladed screwdriver. It ended up actually opening up some such that I had to squeeze it back with a pliers for reassembly.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:45 PM

A snap ring type pliers works to remove and reinstall with out distorting the rings.

If you look at the rings, they are not cut perpendicular to the straight, they are snipped at an angle. Use a dreml type tool to grind those flat, it makes installing the rings much easier.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:19 PM

I did not notice that the bulb cover could actually be removed. That is great news. And, it never occurred to me to re-bevel the ends of the rings. Seems pretty obvious in hindsight. I am encouraged that this revelation may actually enable me to resurrect these lights. Thanks!
Old 05-27-2020, 02:55 PM

I managed to get mine appart, it looks like the exacth same as yours. The rings come off with a bit fuzz, and as you know, be carefull, the bakelite can crack if handled too brutal. The issue with these are mostly the turn switch, it goes in clockwise direction only (!!!), and if someone get's the idea to force it the other way, a tiny copper part breaks in there. It is possible to cut out a new copper part, but it is yet a very fuzzy challenge to get it right. The new LEDs for these are good, the heat and the glass lens could be an issue with the old bulbs. I can't say I prefer the blue or purple tint LEDs tend to have, but they are bright and hardly gives off any heat and are a very good replacement.