Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
some questions - may have opportunity to get a featherweight or maybe a 301 >

some questions - may have opportunity to get a featherweight or maybe a 301

some questions - may have opportunity to get a featherweight or maybe a 301

Old 06-01-2012, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by MaryLane View Post
A 301 and a 301A are the same machine. They just added the A for Anderson, SC, I think. I own a Featherweight and a 301A. The 301A is considered the "big sister" to the FW. I love mine. I carried it cross country to a quilting retreat. It is bigger than the FW and weighs 5lbs more. BUT, you get a bigger bed and the spool pin isn't in the same position as the FW making me more comfortable traveling with it.

If you get one try to make sure there is a bobbin case in it. The replacement ones run $40 or so and I understand they don't work as well.
I think the difference between the 301 and 301a; is the size of the flip up bed.[bed extension]. The 301 having the smaller or shorter while the 301a has the longer length.
On April 28, I was shopping at St. Vincent De Paul; saw a cabinet with a sewing machine in it.As I walked closer, I could hear the machine calling out to me. 'Come on over, I'm different than all the other 301's and 301a's that you have. I 'm in a cabinet, [oak, I think]; and only $35.00...'
I didn't have to think twice; but did need to plan out how she was going to get to our home. I had my small Honda; would need to return with the pick-up on Monday.
Sorry, can't show pictures
Old 06-01-2012, 10:16 AM

Well - I ended up taking a half day of vacation so I could some home and test out my new machine. Plugged her in, followed the threading diagram, and after making a slight adjustment to the stitch length, she sews a perfect stitch!!!!! I'm so excited. I think I'm going to call her Dorothy in honor of my grandma :-). I am so excited. I'm looking forward to some major "get-to-know-you" time with Dorothy this weekend!!!!
Old 06-01-2012, 06:46 PM

I hope you and Dorothy have a wonderful weekend! I spent this afternoon with my 301 and the 9 year old girl next door. We made hair scrunchies. I picked the 301 for the session, and I am glad I did. The girl seemed like a natural with the foot controller. She said the machine was much better to use than her toy one with the finger guard. No dispute from me on that one!

Congratulations on getting Dorothy!

Dayle