Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Is this something I should consider, or forget about? >

Is this something I should consider, or forget about?

Is this something I should consider, or forget about?

Old 04-04-2012, 12:18 PM

I'll let you know when i derust mine, the coating is a form of 'bluing" the same finsh that is used on many firearms, and there is a product available in a small bottle to do 'touch up" work on old guns that should restore it nicely. when i get around to doing mine I will post a little picture tutorial.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:25 PM

Your gal looks just like mine!! I haven't played with mine much yet, but I'll get around to it. Everytime I think I will have a break in the line of quilts needing to be made, someone asks for one. So (sigh)....hopefully over the summer I can play with my machines instead of just sewing quilts.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by BarbaraSue View Post
Junec, a potted motor is a motor mounted behind the arm (the wheel end) of the machine. It runs the belt that moves the needle bar. Many of the old treadles were models that were made later and electrified by this means of adding a motor on to turn the belt of the wheel. And lights were added sometimes through this box to shine on the needle plate from the back of the machine.
A "potted" motor is extra to the machine and is therefore easier to remove. You can make a hand crank or go back to a treadle easily if it is a potted motor.
Sorry, but that's not correct. Potted motors are an integral part of the machine, with the gears of the motor enmeshed with the gears inside the arm of the machine...so the motor is in a little closed "pot" at the back. The motors you are talking about are bolt on motors with a belt that goes to the hand wheel that can be put on or taken off easily, and the machines can be made into hand crank or treadle by simply removing the motor.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by DawnFurlong View Post
So, if I would eventually like a treadle, I could turn say, another 15-91, into a treadle since it has the potted motor (which I could remove)? Would be nice to find a treadle that is already a treadle, in a table - but nice to also have options of creating it myself, more or less, if I can't find what I am looking for.

Is this the same idea of turning a machine into a hand-cranked machine? I know with a treadle one cannot sew in reverse. Can you go in reverse with a hand-crank? Ideas floating through my mind...
Dawn, you need to find one with a motor that is bolted onto the back of the machine with a belt that goes to the handwheel. A potted motor is built into the back of the machine, and you cannot take it off at all. Information given above was incorrect.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by pinkberrykay View Post
I am glad I found this thread, may I ask how much you paid for yours??? I am looking at getting one, she in in really rough shape and I have a post asking about her. They lady is asking $125, others have recommended $35-$50. She looks like she needs a lot of work.

Kay, I got my 99 for $32. Don't pay anything over $45 for one...especially if it doesn't have the knee lever (on older ones) or in rough condition. They are common!! You can find them all over the place.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Muv

Gosh Ladies, of course you can get the case on. Bend the handle back.
Attached Thumbnails case-001.jpg   case-002.jpg   case-003.jpg  
Old 04-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Muv

Don't ask me why the pictures have come out enormous. They are to show how to get the case on - just bend the handle back. CanoePam - no need to unscrew the whole crank. All the cases and bases were designed to accommodate either a hand machine or an electric machine.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:57 PM
Muv

If anyone can tell me how to make the pictures smaller I will reduce them...
Old 04-04-2012, 02:22 PM

Muv,

I use a separate program to reduce the size of my pics to 640 x 480 before I post them to photobucket or the forum.

The program I use is called: Photompression 5. There have been updates but this one works for us so we haven't gotten them.

Joe
Old 04-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Muv

Sorry Joe, haven't a clue what you're talking about. I can do sewing machines, but computers just aren't my epoch. All I know is that this has never happened with any of my pics before and it's nearly midnight so it will have to wait until another day. Good night!