Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
spa treatment for featherweight...... >

spa treatment for featherweight......

spa treatment for featherweight......

Old 01-08-2014, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
if you want to clean it first, you can use kerosene and guaranteed that the decals will not get affected.
I've also had kerosene and parafin oil cause some damage. test an inconspicuous spot first. wait til it dries and check it again.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
I've also had kerosene and parafin oil cause some damage. test an inconspicuous spot first. wait til it dries and check it again.
sorry i wasn't clear. it should be added to water when washing/cleaning sewing machine.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:33 AM

Another vote for sewing machine oil.
Rodney
Old 01-09-2014, 06:50 AM

I didn't realize kerosene and water would mix well? My OSMG says they used a 50-50 mix of alcohol and SM oil in the old days. I tried it and wasn't favorably impressed. Of course there is a definite difference between "freshening up" a SM's appearance, and removing years of grunge, and addressing yellowing, crackling and smoke films.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

Sewing machine oil works great!
Old 01-12-2014, 10:37 PM

I did find that my OSMG's method does indeed sort of work. But you need to be careful with the way I did it. Using a white cotton sock wrapped tightly around the finger tip, put a couple drops of alcohol, followed by a couple drops of Singer SM oil. Then rubbing as in Glenn's french polishing method. You can even rub pretty hard where there is yellowing, cracking. Do this a little, then add a couple more drops of oil, and rub some more. The alcohol seems to dissolve some of the old clear shellac finish and kind of reflow it, I think. You feel what's happening as you rub, and start to hear it squeak when you're through the rough clear coat. There will be a glazed, or milky look, and then once it's dried, polish it with a dry ankle part of the sock, and it will shine!! Add a couple more drops of oil and rub it on, then let it sit for awhile, come back and start over. What you have to be careful of, especially on an old National Windsor B I'm also cleaning up, is that if you get too much alcohol on the sock, or it hits the metal before the oil, is it can, silver a decal. So use more oil over the part of the sock you've been rubbing with. It was quicker than oil alone, but with risk.
I think Steve H gave me a tip that was "risky" but I don't remember if this was it. Getting old,...sigh
Old 01-13-2014, 06:02 AM

Mineral oil is what my local sewing repair person recommends but I use sewing machine oil and then a soft cotton t-shirt or old sock to buff it up. It shouldn't feel oily or have dirt rub off when you're done. What a shame you're parting with a cherished machine, but I hope it finds a good new home.