Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Spring Cleaning - Shuffling Machines >

Spring Cleaning - Shuffling Machines

Spring Cleaning - Shuffling Machines

Old 04-06-2014, 04:42 PM

That makes me feel a lot better about my "use of space" as well....I use two of my three bedrooms as a studio/design/embroidery room and as a studio/design/cutting/sewing room for quilts of a certain size: the other also doubles as a fabric storage unit (along with the rest of the house....); and then there's the longarm that just took over the den about four years ago...sigh...I need a bigger house, or a barn, or a ......it's a good thing I have some land, huh! May have to build an old-fashioned pole barn yet... It's fun, huh!
Old 04-07-2014, 05:25 AM
KLO

[QUOTE=ThayerRags;6662877]No, not for sewing, but I’ve hauled several sewing machines on it, tied on with a cargo net. LOL! I had to quit hauling customer sewing machines on it because of the looks that I got from the owners, but I still haul yardsale and auction finds home on it. And I’ve hauled my handcrank Singer 66 out on a couple of remote jobs at a farm or two as well.[QUOTE]

I had to laugh at this statement because when I responded earlier, I was actually going to say "What vehicle do you use to pick up and deliver machines because obviously you don't use the motorcycle". Ha, I should have known better after reading so many of your other posts. If it can be done, you can do it .... and will. It's always fascinating to read your threads. Thanks for all the great photos also!
Old 04-07-2014, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
Our 334 square feet home sewing room had been our living room (13' x 18') and dining room (10' x 10') until October 2009. Since then, we’ve had what we call a “sewing room with a parlor (recliners & TV) and a snack nook (dining table and chairs)”. The dining table also doubles as a
cutting and layout table. We have sewing machines in every room of the house, including both bathrooms, so our entire home is our sewing room.

CD in Oklahoma
ya mean ya haven't pulled the bike in there to work on it in comfort too?!
Old 04-07-2014, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
ya mean ya haven't pulled the bike in there to work on it in comfort too?!
Well.... uhhh....to tell you the truth, I do that. I call it my “Bike Shop”, but it is actually part of the kitchen, with a counter separating the two. We ride our bikes in and park them inside all summer (42”-wide walk-in door). I have an air-lift table that I can raise the bikes up on as needed to work on them (works well for washers and driers too). My old riding lawn mower gets a trip up on the table once in a while, but the cutting deck is too wide for my door. I have to either drop the mower deck off of the tractor, or roll the air-lift table out onto the front patio, so I’ve learned that it’s sometimes easier to work on it by hoisting it up toward a rafter on the back patio with a Come-a-long.

In my Bike Shop, I can be wrenching on a bike, wipe the oil off of my hands with a grease rag, and reach up onto the counter to get my breakfast plate when it’s ready, if I want to. I usually walk up the ramp to the sink and wash my hands first though.....

PS - Pardon the mess, but the Bike Shop is a catch-all for things coming and going. It’s also the place where I do most of my industrial treadling during the winter. The dog’s love seat is taking up a bunch of space right now until we get rid of it. Then, I can get our bikes in there again.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails bikeshop_20140406_10.jpg  
Old 04-07-2014, 10:40 AM

Thanks for posting - now my husband can quit thinking I've let the sewing machines take over the house. We do NOT have any in the bathrooms yet LOL!!

Though I'm OK with him thinking that, it's keeping him motivated to get working on my "Quilt Retreat" building.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:00 AM

I laughed out loud at KLO's comment on the machine on the patio through the glass doors. I had to scroll back through a dozen entries to see what he/she was talking about. Y'all see things quicker than I do. Meself passes on the bikes.....too chicken, I guess, plus I'd rather ride in a Ford (inside, rather than in the elements).....Y'all enjoy it enough for me, you hear.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:58 PM

CD, thanks do much for sharing your private home with us! Loved seeing all the goodies and how you have managed to utilize every bit of space.....but I'm dying to see a sewing machine in a bathroom!!
Old 04-08-2014, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
.....I'm dying to see a sewing machine in a bathroom!!
I figured a lot of folks had sewing machines in their bathrooms by now. Where else are you going to find to work on those secret projects in as much privacy?

Not much room to shoot photos in there, as you can imagine, but it’s an electric Singer 319W in a Model 56 Cabinet & Stool. It sets in the corner between the linen closet and the doorway....

The one in the other bathroom is a National MW N-50 Model J Portable. When not being used for sewing, the case is a nice rectangle shape with flat sides and top that sets along one wall next to the laundry basket to hold the “readin’ material”....(sorry, no photo of that one).

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine327_05.jpg  
Old 04-08-2014, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
I figured a lot of folks had sewing machines in their bathrooms by now. Where else are you going to find to work on those secret projects in as much privacy?

Not much room to shoot photos in there, as you can imagine, but it’s an electric Singer 319W in a Model 56 Cabinet & Stool. It sets in the corner between the linen closet and the doorway....

The one in the other bathroom is a National MW N-50 Model J Portable. When not being used for sewing, the case is a nice rectangle shape with flat sides and top that sets along one wall next to the laundry basket to hold the “readin’ material”....(sorry, no photo of that one).

CD in Oklahoma
lol, looks good! Now I can show my hubby and tell him..."see we do have more space for machines!"
Old 04-08-2014, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
lol, looks good!
Yeah, we have fun telling folks that we have sewing machines in every room of our house including our bathrooms, but before anyone ends up with a rusted sewing machine, I should probably tell the rest of the story....

A steamy room could damage a sewing machine, but since it’s just the two of us here at our home, we’ve eliminated the steam problems. The bathroom with the cabinet machine in it has a combination tub & shower. I’ve disabled the shower, so it’s now only a tub. Not much steam from a tub bath. The other room has a shower only, but we’ve removed the door on that bathroom since it is off of our Master bedroom and was just in the way anyway. Any steam that the shower produces has the entire bedroom to dissipate the steam into, therefore not causing any steam problem.

Wow. I may be telling too much. Next thing you know, I’ll be telling everyone our secret that we’ve removed the sliding doors on our walk-in closet to eliminate the “her side - his side” sliding of the doors.....That’s just not something people need to know.....

CD in Oklahoma