Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
STERLING TREADLE SEWING MACHINE info requested >

STERLING TREADLE SEWING MACHINE info requested

STERLING TREADLE SEWING MACHINE info requested

Old 03-20-2024, 06:42 PM

I am posting for scott2hotty as he sent me some pictures of the machine that they have acquired.

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

and in the next post some more.
Old 03-20-2024, 06:57 PM

Some more pictures of the cabinet and couple that he sent and said
I’m gonna send you one more picture of her grannies, old sewing box that she has refinished herself. We have not put the clearcoat on yet.
image7.jpeg
image8.jpeg
image10.jpeg
image11.jpeg

Old 03-20-2024, 07:06 PM

After looking at the pictures (if you click on them they will show up a little larger) I'm thinking that it is a machine made by National as seen at http://needlebar.org/main/national/vs/vs06/index.html. I believe it to be what they call a Vindex Type 1. And as I mentioned before that Sterling was a badge that National (and others) used on their machines as seen at http://needlebar.org/main/makers/usa...l/index.html#s. I don't see a shuttle to hold the bobbin, but maybe you just didn't send a picture of it.
The cabinet looks to be in great shape.

Your wife did a very nice job on her grannie's sewing box. It warms my heart when things like this are kept in the family.

Kind of interesting there is a "Pop Pedal Quiz" on another forum that seems to indicate that treadle pedal belongs with a Brunswick (another badge name used on National machines) or Damascus.

ETA: There is a manual for an Expert BT available at http://www.doubleveil.net/zssmp/expertbt.htm should help some. That machine is an electric and the bobbin winder is in a different location, but I believe that the threading the upper thread would be the same for your machine.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 03-20-2024 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:26 PM

I sent a picture of a wooden box that was her granny’s from England where my wife is from. Her granny and father lived in Henry the eight hunting lodge with carriage house. Was amazing but torn down 25 years ago for an apartment so there goes history Epping forest which she recalls looked like a manicured park. She turned 5 on the boat when their family immigrated to Canada. I the luckiest man in the world to have such a wonderful loving giving partner and life long best friend. The night I met her I knew I marry her and was NOT looking either but when a most wonderful special gal comes you best move on it. We dated near four years til marriage of 43 years seems like weeks as I am so blessed and she beautiful outside but even better inside. Never apart more then 20 days in 46 years so that must be love are more.

I thank my blessings daily

I love that she enjoys doing new projects but also grows most of our vegetables naturally and certainly has a green thumb but watching her pollinate plants with a tiny bush has me roaring in laughter (Inside only) A whipped happy dude
Old 03-20-2024, 07:50 PM

Default National posing as a sterling

Hi I’m the wife of scott2hotty, proud owner of this beautiful sewing machine and proud project coordinator of refinishing some wooden boxes. I’m so appreciative of the information you have provided and will definitely be studying everything! You had asked about the bobbin/shuttle? I have it, complete with old thread, it’s bullet shaped so I’m sure this will be another lesson in winding and threading. I look forward to reading all the information you have provided! I’m fairly certain that I will need to get a new belt as mine feels a bit loose. Is the tension of the belt an integral part of successful sewing?
I’m also quite excited about refinishing my granny’s old wooden sewing box. I intend to make it into my own sewing box and plan to line it with fabric wrapped hardboard, except for the lid which will have foam for a pin cushion. I received the box stuffed full of delightful old sewing supplies! There’s an item advertised as the smallest darning loom, still in the box and with instructions! My granny had thriftily saved lace collars to use on her new sewing projects. There is one piece of Irish lace that is still pinned to a piece of tissue that she bought for 10 shillings (price is still on the tissue paper). I recently darned socks for the first time using her wooden darning disc; I had to a modern hair elastic to attach the sock to the disc as the twisted wire that is supposed to act as the elastic is no longer taut. Just some fun and interesting tidbits for anyone else who loves old things. If anyone is interested I can share pictures of the sewing tools.
Old 03-20-2024, 08:05 PM

That would be great to share pictures of vintage/antique sewing tools. It is hard for me to explain how tight the belt should be as they should be loose, but not loose enough to slip, but not too tight either. There are several youtube videos and websites about putting on a treadle belt. If the belt is in decent shape, you can undo the staple and cut some off and drill or punch a new hole for the staple to go through.