Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Storing/displaying your machines... >

Storing/displaying your machines...

Storing/displaying your machines...

Old 06-21-2017, 04:35 PM
Banned

Theresa when I first started buying machines I couldn't stop myself from buying anything I saw that was under $50. Now I wish I would've restrained myself a bit but at the time I wasn't sure where I wanted to focus my collecting. It didn't take long to find that focus but by then I had many machines that just didn't float my boat. I've sold some, still have more to service and sell, given some away and there's a couple that will probably become parts machines. And..........there's still a few more I want to get.

Cari
Old 06-22-2017, 08:02 AM

Oh Cari, I just burst out laughing when I scrolled down and saw the photos of how you display your machines!!! Looks similar to my office right now. We converted our attached garage into living room about 4 years ago. Know all that "good stuff" in a garage that you cannot throw away?? Well it has been sitting in a corner in my living room (the other side of the living room where my husband cut the wall out of the bedroom to enlarge the living room). I wanted to get my treadles "uncovered" so I can practice treadle-ing and become more proficient at it......hahaha. So two little boxes went to the donate pile and the other 4 boxes are now in my office....hahahaha (Can't post photos of that mess though). Hahahahaha
Old 06-22-2017, 10:18 AM
Banned

I had to laugh at myself when I saw the three cases sitting there all alone and balanced. I was thinking, now what else can I stack on there and not have them fall down? (BTW those are empty cases.) This isn't really displaying the machines, it's temporarily storing them. I'm emptying out my 1966 two bedroom mobile home into a 10x12 Tuff Shed so the trailer can be torn down and a new, bigger one will replace it. So I'm moving but not going anywhere lol. I'll be done packing by this weekend and will be homeless for a few weeks.

Cari
Old 06-22-2017, 01:44 PM

I usually like the old Singer tables from the 50s, modern design and teak veneer? I didin't go for a very styled home to begin with, nor is everything matching. I allow a bit of age difference in my furniture. Cabinets often need cleaning, lots of good furniture polish or have the lacquer redone to look nice again.

I have 5 machines so far. I keep the portable models at the bottom of my book shelves. The largest is a 201 in a bent wood case and it works fine. A neat way to store and display a macine is to use two solid cast iron brackets on the wall (there are nice ones as well as more utility looking versions); fit a nice wooden board to it with screws and call it a shelf. It's sturdy and solid enough for heavy cast iron models, and it's easy to adjust for any length or depth. Use the right screws and bolts for this, it needs to hold up well :- )

Last edited by Mickey2; 06-22-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:51 PM

, bu
Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post

I have 5 machines so far.
The operative comment is "so far".

A neat way to store and display a macine is to use two solid cast iron brackets on the wall (there are nice ones as well as more utility looking versions); fit a nice wooden board to it with screws and call it a shelf. It's sturdy and solid enough for heavy cast iron models, and it's easy to adjust for any length or depth.
I like how you think, Mickey! I can't see me getting more involved than that.

I'm a lightweight when it comes to the number of machines I have. Three - I'm not counting my broken Husqvarna that's been banished to the basement - currently, but I keep browsing!

Cari, I'm afraid to even look at embroidery machines. I'll just have to be sensible and pay someone to do it for me. Sensible? Not a word usually associated with me.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:09 PM
Banned

Most of he portables portion

[ATTACH=CONFIG]575211[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20150723_072605_sm.jpg  
Old 06-22-2017, 04:53 PM

I display my machines all over the house. The house is 200 years old so lends itself to decorating with old machines.[ATTACH=CONFIG]575212[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]575213[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]575214[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]575215[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]575216[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]575217[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscf1464.jpg   dscf1466.jpg   dscf1467.jpg   dscf1470.jpg   dscf1463.jpg  

dscf1468.jpg  
Old 06-22-2017, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
I usually like the old Singer tables from the 50s, modern design and teak veneer? I didin't go for a very styled home to begin with, nor is everything matching. I allow a bit of age difference in my furniture. Cabinets often need cleaning, lots of good furniture polish or have the lacquer redone to look nice again.
Ah, someone else with eclectic taste. I have a lot of antiques and vintage stuff but it's kind of all over the place. I have everything from the 30's to the 60's and I love it all!
Old 06-22-2017, 06:26 PM
Banned

Glenn you have a beautiful home and some beautiful machines.

Cari
Old 06-22-2017, 07:09 PM

Ditto Cari, Glenn! Beautiful home and amazing collection of machines.

Karen