Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Storing/displaying your machines... >

Storing/displaying your machines...

Storing/displaying your machines...

Old 06-30-2017, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I don't actually know. Last time I counted it was over 150, and I've added a few and given away a few. . . I am currently on a give away program to other collectors, but due to my location and difficulty in shipping, it's not going well.

I'm being very, very strict with myself on not buying more unless they are near the top of my "most wanted" list.
Alas, Va is pretty far away, otherwise I'd be right over to help you get rid of a handcrank LOL!

Rob
Old 06-30-2017, 07:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kch1983 View Post
Here it is in all it's ugliness!
Ah, yes, the ugly blond economy cabinet. I have one of those, or to be more precise, what's left of it. I ended up stripping the hardware off of it and will send what's left to the dump. Mine was pretty beat up when I got it though, not real sturdy any more. I think if I were going to keep it, as much as I dislike painted cabinets, I dislike this blond finish even more. Or I might strip it and see of the wood will take a nice dark stain.

Cari
Old 07-01-2017, 03:47 AM

Let's see if I can take a pix of the '38 White's cabinet, and transfer it. The '57 Singer's cabinet was not cared for as gingerly. The '38 was kept under a cover but, the machine does not work. I just keep it because it's an ancient to me.

Sorry, my Wi-Fi is messing with me again. It does have it's moments.
Attached Thumbnails white-sewing-machine.jpg  

Last edited by cherrybsixty; 07-01-2017 at 03:49 AM.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:12 AM

HOLY MOLY! I'm amazed at all the machines! I only have 2, both are relatively new. I can admire all the beauty though!

Original question, one machine is always on a table in my sewing studio. The other is up in a closet. I only bring it out when my fav is getting a tune up!
Old 07-01-2017, 06:03 AM

Just for fun - another thread about displaying - How do you display

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:39 AM

Wow, I have 19. I didn't realize I had that many. I don't "display" them. I have an out building similar to what Macy has, but my "display" looks more like Cari's. My house is really small, so there's not much room for sewing machines, other than the one I'm currently using, which is a 503. My newest ones are Touch and Sews, which I use for the class project of a 5th grade class. I want to get a couple of more, so that the kids only have to learn one kind of machine to thread and fill bobbins. The rest are mid century, which is my favorite time frame.

I think I need to get rid of some machines. I guess the best course of action would be to start with getting rid of duplicates. That's hard, though. The only duplicates I have are 15-91s and 201-2s (other than the T&Ss) and they are such nice machines. Next year, I'll leave those T&Ss with the teachers.

bkay
Old 07-02-2017, 03:53 PM

I had three machines - a Singer 401a and a Husqvarna 6010, both of which I owned since the early 70's and a new to me Singer 28K - when I watched a British program called Renovation Man. Among the many changes that were made to the original building was an entry wall painted a very bright yellow. The saving factor were all the beautiful antique / vintage sewing machines displayed on this wall. I saw that and I thought "See, I can buy lots of vintage machines and use them as both sewing machines and decorations!"

That was 4 sewing machines ago (I now own seven!) and I'm trying to figure out how to display them. I have a wall in mind and might be able to salvage an old treadle (alas, no machine) as part of the display. I think I would only use my four black vintage beauties (3 of them hand crank). I'm pretty sure floating shelves won't work.

Now I need to get towork on the treadle.

Oh, the inspiration behind my madness? I'll try to upload a terrible photo (absolutely wrong angle) that was the only one I could find. I need to change the format.

Karen
Vancouver Island

Last edited by kch1983; 07-02-2017 at 03:59 PM.