Stuck-Up Rust Bucket

Old 09-10-2014, 07:20 PM

I still don't have that big screw/bolt on the bottom out. I've got the nut off but not the bolt. I haven't taken anything else off but have been doing a bit more cleaning. Does that thing screw out or push out?
Old 09-10-2014, 08:18 PM

if your talking about the screw and nut just under the rocker, it screws out, it's the pivot / bearing for the rocker, which will also be the adjustment when you put that back together.

Hey , in looking at a photo of the back, I see just the tip of a decal, it looks like this machine is a sphinx.

years ago I didn't have one, I was jones'n , I think I would have given anything just to get a sphinx ( I did). one showed up for sale $45, only way I could tell what it was.. was you could see the tip of the wing .

I went to look, oh boy it was way worst than the photo. everything rusted. you could barley turn it over, sure as h*** so cruded out all that showed was the tip of the wing, just covered in a rust looking grime, under side was the same way, it wasn't worth 5 bucks,

The rest of the story. the guy was 60 miles away. I left there bad direction home mainly there phone number, I use to live a few blocks from his house. I found the place or the street no problem, it 's a wood brown house across from the school, piece of cake . right ?

nope. there is 3 brown wooden shingle house across from the school, which part of the school. it's 2 blocks long LOLOL.. holey crap

afew trips up and down the street it pick out #2 house, there all hipster looking places, but #2 must have just had a yard sale or was going to have one, door is open, dog is yapp'n at me. knock on the door ring the bell no one shows up. do it again nope no one..
they know I'm going to be there and I was on time.

ok across from the school #1 brown house, across front the front of the school.. nice old home yard is a very nice garden , warm summer day, front door open, knock on the door. out comes about a 10 / 13 yrs old girl, saying parents aren't home, she knows nothing about a machine for sale. damn . In that city I better get out of there before the cops show up and shoot me. I start to leave a guy walks up asking if I need help. told him the story. He's daddy, mom's walks up. Turn out to be very nice people, invite me in, we go on there computer look up the add, get the phone number. didn't ask to use there phone. I drive to the local store guess what no public phone dang ,, so back down that street (1/2 block away ) The same guy is water his garden waves. I stop this time asking about a phone, and used there,s. got the address, which is at the end of the school yard. like 150 yds down the street, the 3rd brown house. across from the school foot ball field . not the school.

now nice guy ask me the address, i told him Hoooo Boy did I get a dirty look. and a almost get off my property WTH.

ok now we are at #3 brown house, get out walk over and there's a guy in his shop. a burnt out aging hard core Biker dude, you know the same pants he had on two years ago. but nice place. cool guy. butt by now I'm pissed off, #2 house was next door, I parked to go there right off his drive way. he saw me. he know what color and kind of car to look for and the time, and they live at the very far end of the school yard !!

in other word I drove right to his house right off the bat.

I look at the machine (pissed) gave him the 40 and walked away. he came out asking me to look at his 29k patchier, he couldn't figure it out. I looked it had the wrong needle in it, he knew I was wrong it had to be the timing . ok fine dude.

by this time I'm really get mad, I told him the story I just wrote down. all this took over an hour on a 100 degree day.
ha h aha. turns out the nice guy is the biker parole officer LOLOLOL... no wonder I got the strange looks, after being all over in nice guys house and telling them the unbelievable story of buying a sewing machine. ya right eh ? I must have been a drug dealer...

O and Mr Biker after the story was looking at me as if I where a criminal or a cop LOLOL...

with in 5 minutes of leaving there I was at a yard sale. I see nice guy and his wife at the sale, they gave me the look. so I thanked them and showed them the machine. lol.

This was afew years ago, after totally stripping it down cleaning and polishing every thing it looks great and spin as a top. I could not believe how good the decals were under that grime. no joke it was Brown. all the colors are still intact, some of the decals are gone in line with the needle.

what I'm saying is I was happy to see that you are set on getting that one to go again.. I mean 8 months and still after it yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa for you .
Old 09-10-2014, 08:40 PM

Its a Sphinx and I'll plug away at it till I either get it fixed or I break something that I can't replace. Even if the worst happens I'll re do the finish and the decal set. This is a learning process for me and I'm enjoying taking this old rusty thing down and bring it back to beauty.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:06 PM

when I first came to this site I showed photo's of my rust balls and the fan club wanted me put to death for showing such garbage , let alone bring them back to life LOLOL..

look in the machine photo's I did a recent post on a machine I've repainted, use stencils, golf leaf paint, and fine tip color pens, to make my own version of decals . it's not finished yet still you can get an idea of what can be done
Old 09-10-2014, 09:17 PM

You did a great job of beautifying that door stop. Is it useable as a sewing machine or is it for decoration only?
Old 09-10-2014, 09:56 PM

I finally got the big conical screw on the bottom out. It was caked with old sticky oil and was a bear to remove. It the shaft was glued to the bottom of the works with the sticky stuff as well. I rocked the shaft back and forth till I got it to move a tiny bit and then put oil in where the top meets the horizontal shaft going through the arm. When I got it freed up to where it was moving somewhat freely I said a little prayer and got out the channel locks. I figured these would do less damage to the hand wheel shaft than vise grips or the pipe wrench. I grabbed hold and squeezed, gave a small wiggle back and forth. Nothing moved. Gave it a bit stronger wiggle back and forth and got a small movement. Squirted some more oil in both at the big round thing behind the needle bar and where the tuning fork thingy lays against the arm shaft. Wiggled some more and finally gave it a turn. It was slow going but it finally broke free. Its still a little rough to turn but it moves. If I could get the shaft out I would wire brush everything but I'm somewhat afraid to take much more apart for fear of not getting it back together.
From what I could see and feel, it was stuck where the fork meets the shaft. There is a lot of rust and other debris in there.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:20 PM

Here are a few pictures of the other side of that shaft. Now I'll clean what I can with the brass brush and oil to see of I can get it to turn smoothly.
Attached Thumbnails dscf0532.bmp   dscf0533.bmp   dscf0534.bmp  
Old 09-11-2014, 05:38 AM

That's pretty nasty looking in there. You have some work ahead of you.
Rodney
Old 09-11-2014, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
That's pretty nasty looking in there. You have some work ahead of you.
Rodney
Yeah, but at least it moves now. I'll wire brush it off and put it back together. It should move smoothly after I get finished.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Ziploc and a Sharpie are definitely your friend when tearing a machine down.
I thought I was seeing things. Seve it is good to have you back!!!