Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Suggestions for used sewing machine >

Suggestions for used sewing machine

Suggestions for used sewing machine

Old 02-17-2017, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Coodoo View Post
I did not initially want to buy a new machine, but I really don't want to struggle with another old machine that has issues, and would need parts, service $$$s. I know there is no guarantee that a new machine will be trouble free, and I am a bit hesitant to buy a computerized one, but many seem to love them.
Any machine that has regular use will eventually have issues, need parts and $ervice$. You can get to know any machine and learn to sort out the common issues. I have a singer featherweight. The needle un threads easily and the bobbin tangles badly. If I leave long threads behind the needle and make sure that machine is done making a stitch it is good to use.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:26 AM

Okay, thanks.

I have narrowed down my options.

Here is my list at this time:

New Viking Emerald 118
New Juki HZL-LB5020
Used Bernina 1006, 1008
Used Pfaff Hobbymatic 935 and 955 (IDT)
Used Kenmore 158 series 12 or 14 stitch MADE IN JAPAN

I do want a free arm with a flat bed, so that eliminates lots of vintage machines, I think. The older Elnas and Singers seem to just have a flat sewing area. I think I need the free arm to hem jeans?

If anyone has a suggestion to add, please do. I'm afraid of used computerized machines...seen so many up for sell that are broken and sold for parts.

Thanks all!

Last edited by Coodoo; 02-17-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

Elna mostly has free arm machines.
I learned the old fashioned way of turning the jeans the other way so I rarely use a free arm and when I do I forget to run stuff around it. If you are in Indy I know where there is a Kenmore 12 stitcher.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:03 AM

I will look at the Elnas again. I'm in New Jersey!

Saw this machine and read a good review. Not sure how old it is.

White model 1927 Heavy Duty
Old 02-17-2017, 11:07 AM

I have a 301a and a Rocketeer and either would be a good general purpose machine. The 301 has a beautiful straight stitch but only zigzags with an attachment. I've never used it but it used to give my mother fits. Of course, knowing my mom that could have been lack of user education or just plain user error. I haven't used the zigzag on the Rocketeer but it sews like a charm. I just pieced an entire king sized quilt on it.

No machine is going to be problem free or maintenance free. My Bernina Artista 180 rarely has problems but I do get it serviced about once every 18 months or so. I would have no problem buying a used Bernina. They are great machines. Just be aware that whatever used machine you buy could need work. My husband bought a beautiful Featherweight for me from eBay. While it's a beautiful machine in good shape, we still took it to my OSMG (which in this case is Old Sewing Machine Gal who is in her 30's lol) and had her replace the power cord and go over the machine for me.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:32 PM

Does the Rocketeer have any different stitches other than straight?
Old 02-17-2017, 12:59 PM

Looking at the Rocketeers. It seems like there are plenty out there for sale. If anyone knows, what is the difference between the 500 and the 503? Are the cams, I think that's what they are called, for different stitches and other parts available online? Are these machines fairly easy to work on?
Old 02-17-2017, 07:49 PM

The 500 has a built-in, metal cam stack for zz and some other 20+ decorative stitches controllable by a pair of stacked knobs on the face of the machine . It also came standard with 5(?) plastic cams for additional decorative stitches. The 503 is straight stitch only without the 20+(?) plastic cams for zz and decorative stitches that can be inserted individually into the machine. Both have the same motor, Singer slant needle, and 66 bobbin configurations; and are well regarded. Their stretch/knit fabric stitch selection is a little weak (primariliy zz) compared to more current machines.

Around my neck of the woods, I seem to run into more 500's than 503's which run from $15 or so to $250 (way too high for me!), depending on condition, cabinet, accessories and price goal of the seller (realistic or not).

John Thomas in NC
Old 02-17-2017, 10:16 PM
Power Poster

I like the 403 or 503 better than the 401 and 500.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:50 AM

There are Singer freearm models among the vintage group: 320, 431G, at least one or two in the 500 and 600 numbers too. Elnas are mostly freearm with the odd flatbed turning up every other year or so. Berninas are mostly freearm too, from the vintage top models 530, 730 and 830, well worth going for if they have the features you need. The myriad of brands and moels is one of the reasons I know keep an open mind, I don't know them all. The lesser known brands like Phoenix, Adler, Dürkopp, are well worth a second look when they turn up. Pfaff had some nice freearm models, as well as Viking/Husqvarna, 1950s models and up.

If you worry about hemming jeans, it's not at all a problem on a flatbed, even small childrens clothes. It has mostly to do with getting used to it. The freearm has it's advantage when you make a repairs or alterations in a difficult place like a pocket, you have to sew inside a tiny opening in the lining of a jacket, in general when there's very little room to reach the seam. For most jobs I prefer my flat bed, but since it's a straight stitcher only I use my freearm zigzagger on a regular basis.