Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Suggestions for used sewing machine >

Suggestions for used sewing machine

Suggestions for used sewing machine

Old 02-14-2017, 06:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Coodoo View Post
What do you think of this one?
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/auction...-37048382.html
I can't determine if it was made in Japan.
I don't know where it was made but if it is as nice as a 12 stitcher you would have a very nice machine for sewing on knits once it has been gone over. You never know why a machine is on shopgoodwill. It could be an estate clean out or just somebody that has messed up a machine and donating. Usually those Kenmore's have a lot of dried up oil.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:08 AM

Are these fairly 10, 12, 15 stitch Kenmores easy to fix and are parts still available? When the oil is dried up, what do you use to clean it out?

Do they have plastic cams or metal cams?
Old 02-14-2017, 08:53 AM

That looks like a good machine. The first three numbers are the source code, indicating the company that made the machine for Sears. 158 and 148 are Japanese companies, Soryu and Jaguar-Maruzen......can't remember which is which. If it was local I would definitely check it out.....not sure about Goodwill

What do you think of this one?
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/auction...-37048382.html
I can't determine if it was made in Japan.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:04 AM

Yeah, Goodwill is risky, but I keep looking at this one because it is very clean looking. I'm just not sure how difficult repairs are for these. I see that youtube has some repair videos on these older Kenmores.

Would I be able to make quilts on this Kenmore?

Last edited by Coodoo; 02-14-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:55 AM

Yes, small quilts, IF it's not a left homing foot, which means that in the ss mode the needle is on the left of the zz position
...almost impossible to sew an accurate 1/4" seam.

Would I be able to make quilts on this Kenmore?[/QUOTE]
Old 02-14-2017, 11:04 AM

Okay, thanks. Maybe I need to keep looking. I would like to buy a machine that I could use for quilting.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:14 PM

Okay, thanks. Maybe I need to keep looking. I would like to buy a machine that I could use for quilting.
I wouldn't guarantee it, but I'm pretty sure that that machine is center homing, so would be fine for quilting. If you can get it for ~$25, and it's in your area so you can pick it up, I would recommend buying it. Those Kenmores are great machines.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:06 AM

I am looking at other options, such as... https://www.amazon.com/Juki-HZL-LB50.../dp/B01FG2KMIG It is a new model I believe. Does anyone have a newer computerized Juki?

I did not initially want to buy a new machine, but I really don't want to struggle with another old machine that has issues, and would need parts, service $$$s. I know there is no guarantee that a new machine will be trouble free, and I am a bit hesitant to buy a computerized one, but many seem to love them.

I'm still looking at all options at this point, but I will check locally and not buy online. Still interested in a nice older Kenmore, 158, if I can find one nearby.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jennifer23 View Post
I wouldn't guarantee it, but I'm pretty sure that that machine is center homing, so would be fine for quilting. If you can get it for ~$25, and it's in your area so you can pick it up, I would recommend buying it. Those Kenmores are great machines.
Ditto. I haven't seen a bad one. There are replacement parts for common issues for most old machines. Anything odd - who knows but it is the same for a 20 year old machine.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:19 AM

With vintage machines my approach is to be a bit open minded for the machines that turn up at any given time. I have a hunch of what's worth going for and at the right there's not much to risk; a good vintage machine is durable and the additional cost of handing it in for a service should be worth it. Often a good DIY clean up is all a machine needs (checking belts and bobbin tyres, even replacing the odd plastic gears on some later models). The time and effort spent on a good machine results in a very dependable and capable machine. That's why all metal models are highly regarded, as well as the cast iron old straight stitchers; along side a more light weight zigzagger they are up to any job.

When I take on a cast iron straight stitcher I expect belts and bobbin tyres need replacing, as well as checking motor and wiring. Replacing this is around $20-30 and a cople of hours work as a DIY fixup, motor brushes can be extra. Newer machines are often fine but needs a good clean up and lubrication. Sometimes all that's needed is 3/4 hour of cleaning and oiling and spending some time getting to know the machine. An all mechanical swing needle machine with lots of stitch patterns to choose from can take quite a bit of oiling, turing the mechanism, letting it seep in, more oil and test sewing; which means a few turns of the same things the next week or so. If something has caught your eye don't worry too much, it's usually well worth it. I had my old 99K in for rewiring and regreasing the motor it's the most expensive service I have had, but I don't regret it. Since then I have found the vintage sources on the web, and a DIY fixup is well within reach; still handing it in for to the right service guy has been well worth it too (I have handed my vintage Bernina in a few times).