Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Suggestions for used sewing machine >

Suggestions for used sewing machine

Suggestions for used sewing machine

Old 02-11-2017, 09:58 AM

You could also check your local sewing machine repair shop. We have one that has a variety of vintage machines for reasonable prices.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:37 AM

First, I have bought machines on ebay that were said to be "cleaned and serviced" that had to be sent back because it did not sew properly, so don't believe everything you read. And to many sellers, "works great" means that the needle goes up/down when the pedal is pressed.....so just be cautious. I have also bought nice machines on ebay.

I love 60-70s Kenmore machines but advise staying away from left homing. But don't depend on the seller knowing what that even means. My favorites are somewhat vintage Pfaffs with the IDT. I have gotten them on CL and ebay. If we knew where you live someone on here might know of a good machine for you.

Last edited by Wintersewer; 02-11-2017 at 11:38 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 02-11-2017, 11:45 AM
Power Poster

Take a test kit; needles, thread and couple bobbins just incase. Always ask if they have a manual. Also don't forget to take small brush and little oil just incase. Google the machine before you go. Most importantly take a 10" square of fabric (I prefer denim). I like the denim to see how it'll do with layers when you fold and fold multiple times.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:47 AM

Thanks, I'm in Central New Jersey.

Wintersewer, can you tell me some of the Pfaff models that you like? I was looking for a mid-line model Pfaff... 875?
Can you explain IDT?

Anyone buy on the Goodwill auctions? They are not really tested, most just plugged in to see if they have power. But some look like new.

Thanks for all the good advice. I know it's best to try and buy in person, but there are some great bargains online.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:31 PM
Banned

The last few years I've seen the Goodwill auctions get more ridiculous than Ebay. Especially at this time of year when people are starting to get their tax returns. Cash in hand means common sense goes out the window.

Cari
Old 02-12-2017, 07:25 AM

I agree with cari re: shopgoodwill prices. You are really buying an unserviced machine. That's okay if you don't mind working on them. Any purchases online - you are at the mercy of the packing care/skills of the seller.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:10 AM

Default Pfaffs with IDT

Originally Posted by Coodoo View Post
Thanks, I'm in Central New Jersey.

Wintersewer, can you tell me some of the Pfaff models that you like? I was looking for a mid-line model Pfaff... 875?
Can you explain IDT?

Anyone buy on the Goodwill auctions? They are not really tested, most just plugged in to see if they have power. But some look like new.

Thanks for all the good advice. I know it's best to try and buy in person, but there are some great bargains online.
I have owned and used a Pfaff 1473CD with IDT since 1989. It has never failed me, though I am not a prolific seamstress. IDT means Integrated Dual Transportation, dual feed, in a nutshell. That feature is the primary reason I bought the machine. I have never used the Creative Designer, but I still hope for enough time to play with it. I has many built-in decorative stitches in addition to a number of very useful utility stitiches. Good used 1473s are not cheap, but I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for. I know I will never part with mine. Here is a link that shows how IDT works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijQzDYfHeEs

Last edited by PatriciaPf; 02-12-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:57 PM

Welcome to the forum. I have a 40 year old Elna Super that is still working perfectly. If you get a chance to grab one at a bargain price, you should consider it. The old Elna's were Swiss made. Mine never had anything more than a cleaning and tune up and it never failed me.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:17 PM

I love my Singer 401A from the 50's. The parts are steel and it comes with cams. A real work horse.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:40 AM
Power Poster

I used to buy machines from shop goodwill. They have become way over priced and come in repair ready condition. Some require way too much repair to be worth repairing.
I have also bought and repaired machines on Craig's List. At least ther you can check them out. There are people who sell fully repaired machines on Craig's List. You might look and see how the machine is listed. If they are asking $20,000 for an old machine, they are likely drug users... Or maybe deceived at best... If the machine is listed as restored or fully serviced, look for other listings by that person. You may have found a place to buy exactly what you need, a good machine that has been put in servicable condition. That person may be able to point you to a decent machine exactly what you are looking for. When I pick a machine out of my herd to use I usually have some task in mind and some machines are better at some tasks than others. Then remember, about 99% of your sewing will be straight stitches. Some of the really old machines sew straight stitches better than anything newer. Left homing machines can be very nice to use. I have two nearly identical machines made by the same company one left and the other centered... I prefer the left homing machine over the centered. I don't know why though. There are Kenmore's I like and some that hate me.