Tables and Cases

Old 05-03-2015, 07:22 AM

Default Tables and Cases

I love sewing machines, less so the tables and cases. I never seem to find the "right" ones. I have a Necchi Supernova in the garage ready to show me what she can do and then come in, but in what??

I have a couple wood cases in the garage, one smells awful and needs some glueing and re-covering, one just needs re-covering but won't fit this machine anyway so why bother? I have 3 white plastic cases, one is just a hole...no support, no hinges. That one won't do, this machine needs support. Umm the other two both are in good shape externally but the hinges have both broken out. Grrr.

I look around me and see I have FOUR tables in the house that don't have machines in them. They are better tables (not best) that I cleaned up thinking they would fit something and haven't yet. I know the minute I let them go, I will get a machine that needed one.

I seem to find tables with good finish outside but the support lip shaved down inside, or find the perfect table but it doesn't fit a single machine I have, or have one with a cool heavy duty support inside but the table is soooo ugly..

So, this Necchi hmmmm. It came in a desk, but the desk is ugly. I guess I could strip it, stain and finish it and bring that in while taking the other empty tables out. What to do?
Old 05-03-2015, 08:28 AM

the last Necchi (japanese made) I got came in a really nice Singer cabinet. I took it out and put in a White (Japaneses made) and it fit right in. The White had previously been in a Singer trapizoid cabinet.

I looked at my Italian made Necchi, and it looks like it would fit in a Singer cabinet -however it takes up the whole space (like the 401 does) so you need one without a lift - or with the lift removed. I really like the lift mechanism the older Necchi has!

You can always do like I do - stack them out in the boat shed (lots of room since we sold the boat).
Old 05-03-2015, 11:13 AM

Cathy, I just never seem to have the RIGHT one. I have one with no flipper but it's too small an opening. I have one with the right opening but the front lip has been shaved down which make me nervous for a heavy machine. I have a decent Singer table but would have to remove the lift.

I think I need to get my head right. It looks like I should take the empty tables out (for now) and plan a space for the ugly desk.

I asked hubby to grab some Citrustrip on his way home. The desk had been painted over the years so I think the plan is to strip it and see what is underneath. With a nice stain and shellac maybe it would look better? It is an original Necchi desk and has nice drawer space and that nice Necchi lift mechanism. I could grow to love it.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:35 AM

Pictures of the desk?
I would take the cabinet I like best and make whatever changes are necessary to fit the Necchi. If someone cut down the lip you can always glue another piece of wood in to build it back up. OTOH I never have enough storage next to my machine. The desk (ugly or not) might be just the thing.
I tend to get rid of cheaply made ugly cabinets. Think particle board from the 70s with printed "wood". I strip everything usable and trash the rest. I don't have room to store bad ones. An older cabinet made with quality materials is worth saving though.

Your broken cases are still good for storing machines. They will at least keep dust and dirt off them. You may be able to fix them too if the hinges are still there. The empty case is probably intended for a free arm machine.
Rodney
Old 05-03-2015, 11:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post

I think I need to get my head right. It looks like I should take the empty tables out (for now) and plan a space for the ugly desk.

I asked hubby to grab some Citrustrip on his way home. The desk had been painted over the years so I think the plan is to strip it and see what is underneath. With a nice stain and shellac maybe it would look better? It is an original Necchi desk and has nice drawer space and that nice Necchi lift mechanism. I could grow to love it.
This is probably your best bet. There is usually one obstacle with fitting an Italian Necchi into a Singer or generic cabinet that hasn't been brought up yet. The hinge pin holes on Italian Necchis tend to be too small for other branded hinge pins. You would either have to A) file down the hinge pins to fit the Necchi holes or B) drill the holes a tiny bit bigger to fit the hinge pins.

Cari
Old 05-03-2015, 12:40 PM

If you were to look at genuine Necchi cabinets on Google HERE, you would very likely find yours in unaltered condition. Necchis are very well designed -- why wouldn't the original cabinet be as well?

I'd go for that and keep it "clean".
Old 05-03-2015, 12:41 PM

This is the cabinet and machine.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0524-640-x-426-.jpg   dsc_0522-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 05-03-2015, 12:54 PM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/$10-necchi-cabnit-t192204.html

Looks similar and beautiful.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

I don't think it looks so bad, myself. Just a good polishing to the desk maybe different hardware.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by sews View Post
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/$10-necchi-cabnit-t192204.html

Looks similar and beautiful.
Sabine, that gives me hope! I think that looks nicer.

Tessagin, I wouldn't know quite how to polish it. It's been painted sort of a green brown shade. They went right over the hinges and I'm not even sure they removed the machine when they did it. The machine had paint on it.