Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Tension, Random stitching issues on singer 99-13 Please help!? >

Tension, Random stitching issues on singer 99-13 Please help!?

Tension, Random stitching issues on singer 99-13 Please help!?

Old 02-16-2023, 10:32 AM

Default Tension, Random stitching issues on singer 99-13 Please help!?

My singer 99-13 is acting so random. I made the mistake of messing with the clearance screw that you're not supposed to touch when I first got it, so I don't know if it ever sewed properly because I messed with that. First I tried sewing and the tension on the bottom was like this _____ very straight and tight and then I adjusted that screw again a bit and then I folded over a piece of fabric twice and the front and back stitches were exactly the same and it was perfect. I unfolded the fabric so it was much thinner and the bottom thread was making perfect stitches but now the top thread was making ________ a very tight straight line. I adjusted the tension assembly to the loosest it could go and it was still like this. Why are my stitches and my tension being so random? Is there any way to set that screw perfect? Any advice is much appreciated, Thank you!

Edit: I am also now using the same type of thread for top and bottom threading

Last edited by melissam707; 02-16-2023 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-16-2023, 05:14 PM

I did a post over here
Singer 66 looping thread--getting stuck on bobbin case/hook?
Where I tried to outline adjusting the bobbin case spacer (as I called it) after having loosened the screw which shouldn't be loosened.
I would read through everyone's posts on that thread to see if there's helpful information on getting the lower and upper tensions set correctly. I also vaguely remember a post by bkay (I think) on setting the upper tension check spring; I think I tried to address that in that thread.
Old 02-16-2023, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by JoeJr View Post
I did a post over here
Singer 66 looping thread--getting stuck on bobbin case/hook?
Where I tried to outline adjusting the bobbin case spacer (as I called it) after having loosened the screw which shouldn't be loosened.
I would read through everyone's posts on that thread to see if there's helpful information on getting the lower and upper tensions set correctly. I also vaguely remember a post by bkay (I think) on setting the upper tension check spring; I think I tried to address that in that thread.

My problem is really unusual. I have no loops or problems like that. It's just when I try to sew a piece of thin fabric regular cotton fabric the stitches are so tight they look like this __________ but when I fold the fabric over twice and then sew it makes perfect stitches front and back that look like this - - - - - - - -. I don't get what is going on. It's like it will only stitch thick fabric. I even changed out to a modern universal needle.
Old 02-16-2023, 06:47 PM

I even watched the bobbin and how the thread goes around and through and it appears to be fine, it doesn't get stuck or have problems. Is the screw that's not supposed to be loosened supposed to be screwed in tight? Maybe that's my problem? Mine isn't completely tight. Should I try and tighten it? I watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuJwdUDcWyY and did what someone said taking 3 posit-it notes and placing them in between and it seems okay. I really can't figure out what is going on, it's becoming exhausting because I waste entire bobbins of thread lol
Old 02-16-2023, 07:38 PM

Remember that when the bottom thread is flat, you tighten the top tension OR loosen the bobbin tension. When the top thread is straight, you tighten the bobbin tension OR loosen the top tension. The tension is made adjustable so that you can adjust it for different threads and fabrics. So play with it.

Also, always remember to thread the upper spool with the presser foot up. This opens the tension disks so the thread can get down into them.

Thread quality is also important for good tension. At the shop, we never could get a balanced tension with Coats and Clark or the 10 for a $1 threads, especially in the bobbin. We always used Gutermann or Metler threads to balance the tensions.

Good Luck!
Old 02-16-2023, 07:52 PM

Thank you, Annette, for that information.

Why are you sewing on only one layer of thread? What kind of material are you testing on? I know some have said that one should use sharp needles, not universal or ball point. When the 99-13 was made, I'm fairly certain that all household machines used only sharp needles.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 02-16-2023, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
Remember that when the bottom thread is flat, you tighten the top tension OR loosen the bobbin tension. When the top thread is straight, you tighten the bobbin tension OR loosen the top tension. The tension is made adjustable so that you can adjust it for different threads and fabrics. So play with it.

Also, always remember to thread the upper spool with the presser foot up. This opens the tension disks so the thread can get down into them.

Thread quality is also important for good tension. At the shop, we never could get a balanced tension with Coats and Clark or the 10 for a $1 threads, especially in the bobbin. We always used Gutermann or Metler threads to balance the tensions.

Good Luck!

Thank you so much!! I have lots of Gutermann thread so I will try that next. May I please ask are you saying that for the same piece of fabric I might have to change the bobbin case tension if it appears to be too tight on the bottom when sewing with the fabric unfolded and "thin" ? When I fold the fabric and make it thicker it stitches perfectly on the top and bottom.
Old 02-16-2023, 08:03 PM

It's just a cotton piece of fabric from the dollar store, I was just testing it out. I do have quilting cotton that's more expensive but I was just testing things. So you can't sew on one thin piece of fabric and get stitches like ------- ? I apologize if I sound ignorant I'm actually not much of a sewist or seamstress and I'm not very knowledgeable about old machines, I just love it so much and would love to get it working and sewing properly. I will definitely buy some sharp needles! Thank you so much
Old 02-16-2023, 08:09 PM

https://www.schmetzneedles.com/produ...achine-needles Is this type of needle okay?
Old 02-17-2023, 11:14 AM

Thank you so much for your help! It's fixed it seems! I changed the thread to Gutermann and changed the needle like you suggested and I turned the screw on the bobbin case a bit. Thank you again!