Thanks for the how-to help!

Old 03-23-2015, 04:59 AM

Default Thanks for the how-to help!

When I"m here, I am amazed at the complexity of old machines I thought were so basic...reading up on the quirks, fixes, and solutions is interesting, and because of all of you...

Last night I finally got my serger (a mid '90s hobbylock) to fly again. It's been breaking the needle threads, the left needle doesn't always catch the looper, etc.

First, I rethreaded. Then I changed the needles & reset the needle height. Then I oiled as directed. No luck! Then I started pulling on those needle threads, and they were really balking. Turns out they had twisted around each other two or three times behind the major front guide thingy, before traveling down to the thread guides above the needles. Voila! Fixed. A good lesson learned, and one I didn't discover sooner because I always tie on the thread and sew through, rather than restringing each one separately. AND I learned that threading the left looper is infinitely easier when the knife is out of the way.

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2015, 02:24 AM
Power Poster

The way if figure it - you can sew a whole lot of stuff with out a serger....
Old 03-24-2015, 11:36 AM

i bought a secondhand serger for $75. there was a note attached that said, "Just stopped working." After going through it i found a thread binding the arms inside the machine. I wouldnt have taken a chance on this machine if i hadnt already been playing with older sewing machines.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:54 PM

Oh yes ,,, I just spent about 2 hrs or more rethreading my DD's serger and it is just like mine at home.. I was ready to toss my hands up after 6=8 times of starting over from step 1.. the last time... there it went as nice as you please.. good thing cause i had had it for sure...and the brother has to be done.........#3..#4...#2..#1 in that order and following the book and color code one would think,,,,,, welllllll nope,,, then finally,,, so i know how you feel..been there done that..thank god it was not twisted.. well,, i cut my threads and start from new each time so.. that will not happen i hope..