Singer 12, tension trouble

Old 03-17-2015, 03:35 PM

Default Singer 12, tension trouble

Hello,
Bit by bit helpful people are walking me through getting this machine sewing again. We've solved bobbin and needle insertion... now I need to get the upper thread tension to behave!

I think the tension disks are not gripping the thread. at. all.

When I try to adjust the tension via the knob on top, it will not turn at all. It will turn a bit with help from pliers, but it's obviously stuck somehow. Everything else has been serviced, except what is behind that side plate. Everything is smooth and gliding, so I was hoping I wouldn't have to get in there.

Before risking that, I thought I'd ask for help. Again. Please let me know if this is a good idea, and likely to solve the problem I've been having.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:45 PM
Banned

in for a penny, in for a pound....

I will do photos tonight...
Old 03-17-2015, 03:49 PM

I just googled Singer 12 and it said the tension was a screw on the faceplate. I know nothing about it, but I've not seen a tension on the top.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:03 PM
Banned

early style
[ATTACH=CONFIG]513980[/ATTACH]

later style
[ATTACH=CONFIG]513981[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails older-singer-12-face.jpg   newer-singer-12-face.jpg  
Old 03-17-2015, 04:06 PM

Barny, I hadn't seen adjustments on the top either. But there are three posts at the top (above the side plate), the back one is the pressure foot adjustment, the middle one is the needle bar, and the front one is the tension adjustment. There is a picture of the machine here: http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...12k-manual.pdf

and the part I'm speaking of is #5. That knob will not turn, and the tension plates do not put tension on the thread, so something must be amiss....
Old 03-17-2015, 04:10 PM

Yep, SteveH, the second one is just like mine. Does that knob adjust easily for you?

It looks like your thread disappears into the disks (like usually happens on other machines) and on this one the thread seems to just drape around but not grip. That makes me think the two plates are tightly clamped against each other? But it's hard to tell without moving the knob, and I'm worried about forcing.

(So, Steve, you're now in for a pound... what about a bushel or a peck? )
Old 03-17-2015, 04:23 PM

Oh, wow, I'm backing out of this conversation. I've never seen a machine like this. Thanks Steve and Ellpea. Good luck.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by barny View Post
Oh, wow, I'm backing out of this conversation. I've never seen a machine like this. Thanks Steve and Ellpea. Good luck.
aw! The machine is intimidating me a little, but I didn't know it would scare people away! Barny, thank you for stepping in and offering help , your efforts are much appreciated.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:02 PM

Another update. Since the upper tension knob would not turn, a bit of "Deep Creep" (that's an actual product, and it's incredible!) was sprayed onto a q-tip, and dabbed around the base of the knob. The knob loosened up almost immediately, at least it agreed to move without pliers. Within a few minutes it was possible to turn it with bare fingers and no pain!

I loosened the knob to the point I could see space between the tension disks, wrapped the thread through them, and tightened again until the tension was pretty tight (per manual).

Now the thread doesn't jump out, but still no loop of bobbin thread coming up.

Lowered needle by tiny increments twice. No loop.

Lowered one more time. LOOP!!! I was so excited I whooped, and the DH dashed in, thinking there had been a major breakthrough. I was very certain that it was ready to sew... but no stitches.

We decided the machine needed a bit of dinner and perhaps a glass of wine.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ellpea View Post
(So, Steve, you're now in for a pound... what about a bushel or a peck? )
A pound currency was worth 240 pennies (or 20 shillings - ah, memories!) and Peter Piper could tell you a thing or two about pecks

Don't be discouraged Ellpea, the 12 is a lovely machine, well worth the effort. Threading, tensioning and sewing with these were a pleasure to the original owners because they got used to it. It sounds like you're nearly there