Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
thinning the herd ain't going so well... >

thinning the herd ain't going so well...

thinning the herd ain't going so well...

Old 08-01-2015, 08:22 AM

Some people can't say "no" to stray dogs and cats. At least we don't need to feed and clean up after our sewing machines.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:38 PM

Someone told me the other day what a wise man once told her: You're in exactly the place you are supposed to be right now. When you get tired of having so many machines you will be ready to let them go. Until then you will hold onto them.

So far as family making comments, they need to mind their own business. So far as worrying about having too much stuff for my kids to deal with when I die??? Are you kidding me? I plan to live right up to the moment I leave this earth and my collections and interests are proof that I am doing just that!
Old 08-01-2015, 02:27 PM

I agree with you Christy I to live up to the moment and my kids will just have to deal with it when I am gone just as we did when my parents left this earth. I hope they do the same with their life. Life is to short not to enjoy it.
Skip
Old 08-01-2015, 03:43 PM

Just counted - I have 20 machines, not all in working order! One is going to the church for our quilt group (me and 2 others!) and two are so messed up I may not bother with them. Someone is coming to look at one tomorrow (yay!) so maybe I'll be down to 18 pretty soon!
Old 08-01-2015, 06:08 PM

I actually parted with one last week. A co worker was looking for a machine to make boat and atv covers out of canvas. I let my granmothers Nelco go. It has a very strong motor and was in great condition. Plus my co worker is a guy and could lift it. It weighed over 40 pounds. and it was left homing so not something I was using much. Perfect for him. So that leaves me with only 16. and 5 not working. 2 in pieces, one of those is getting a paint job. Of the others, the 99 is just waiting on the correct motor wire, the Riccar probably needs timing, and the other 66 will be painted and turned into a handcrank. I just need time.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:24 PM

Oh! It is a beautiful problem we have. These are my toys. I do not have to have the most when I die but I sure am enjoying them now. I call this Living!
Old 08-01-2015, 07:39 PM

yeh I figure the time will come when something can be let go - I've already reached that point with other stuff. and I' not really worried about when my time comes - no kids to deal with it and often that's how we find bargains- family dumping stuff at goodwill and estate sales! I'm sure a lot of the ones my mom rescued were from people no longer living and their families were selling. my quilting friends say they've told their hubbies and kids to just call so and so and so and so to deal with the stash and sewing stuff- they'll either buy it or sell it for you..they know what to do.

today I went and picked up the machine that was ready - got antsy and didn't want to be in the house. a friend felt the same and wanted a walking foot for her fw so off we went. so no sewing today for me but tomorrow I plan on some more organizing and hopefully at least a little sewing in the evening.