Thinning the Herd

Old 10-27-2017, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

Default Thinning the Herd

Most of my machines are relatively recent acquisitions - maybe the last five years or so -

So - I am not in a big hurry to part with any of them, although the person I live with is not so happy with the number i have (it's less than 20 - counting sergers)

How do you decide which ones to let go? Do you try to sell them, or do you donate them? Give them to friends and relatives?

(It's always nice when a relative is also a friend!)

(In my mind, the difference between a donation and a gift - the donation goes to someone I don't know, the gift goes to someone I do know.)
Old 10-27-2017, 09:03 AM

I would give a machine to someone who needed one and could't afford to spend much at the moment. I feel much better about it when I know the receiver cares for the machine. I probably only need one sewing machine, but I have three I use regularly and will not part with any of them unless I had to.

At the moment I dont' know anyone who would consider a vintage machine. I would first try and sell a machine I have fix up and assume it will go to someone who wanted one. I have 5 machines, one I might sell and one who needs a bit of work. I have my eyes on a Gritzner long bobbin, and it's mostly for its' nice decals. A machine in reasonably working order leaves the local charity whitin a couple of weeks, some in just a few days. If I take it there I know someone will buy it; but I suspect very little actually goes to charity. After a couple of weeks they tend to lower the price.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:18 AM

My efforts toward any paring down are probably more related to having both breast and lung cancer not long ago, and not having kids, nieces and nephews are commited to cleaning up out after we are gone.Plus doing FlyLady in the early 2000's, which I still abide by, but

I'm part of a NWPacific quilting selling thread and over the last year I've sold my Janome 6600 (purchased when I lived away from home for three years, wonderful machine) sold to and met, and I gave her my 125 LaVincidora hand crank.
I've sold a pretty blue green 15 clone, I have my set in Singer 404 currently up for sale. I debated between the 404 and the featherweight so flipped a coin

that leaves 4 machines, each radically different from each other, all with set up room. Used machines don't have much value, so the world won't end if they go dumpward.

I do feel lighter without the sold ones...my personal theory or practice is if I don't use it, it is just a space and life eater.
Oh, I also got a 301 I gave to a member here, I just wanted the desk.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:53 AM

I'm in the same predicament. The DH doesn't care one way or the other how many machines I have. We have an air conditioned out building that houses them, so they are no problem there. I've found them to be a burden, though. Each one has some need. Some as small as cleaning and oiling and a bobbin winding tire. Some as large as my Pfaff 130, which has never been plugged in and needs some veneer repair. They have become a bunch of jobs that need doing. I put an old Viking out for the metal pickers who come by on big trash week. I've sent a couple to Leon. I set one on the curb with a note that it still works. But I still have 16 machines and about 12 cabinets.

It's hard to get rid of them though. I thought the Pfaff would be easy to let go of. I figured it needed to sew to sell it. So, I started reading up on the machine. Now I want to keep it. Then I decided to get rid of my duplicates. So, I have 2 201-2s and 2 15-91s. But, the ugliest 15-91 was my mother's, so I can't get rid of that one. And, on top of that, I almost bought a White Fair Lady this week.

Thinning the herd is not easy.

bkay
Old 10-29-2017, 05:00 AM

I and a friend are local QOV coordinators. We hold sew days at a local quilt shop. We have been blessed with several machines that were donated for folks stopping by the quilt shop that want to make a block or two. These machines have proved invaluable. While some did not us personally the know of the QOV mission. So even if you do not know the person receiving your donated machine please don't think they are not appreciated. You may have a group near you that would be thrilled to have one donated. When I received more machines than I needed, I donated to Home of the Brave, a shelter for homeless vets. And another went to a men's homeless shelter. They use them for repairs or to hem pants needed to apply for work. Reach out to churches or your city office for other suggestions of places that may need machines.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:13 AM

this is kinda tuff. at one time I had 15 machines & two sergers. I still think of those wonderful machines I have given or sold. I kinda miss them. Thinking of parting with 3-5 more machines, I can't use them all, but I am dragging my feet on this. The newer ones I don't miss like I do my vintage machines. I always felt better when knowing who got them and appreciated them.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
I'm in the same predicament. The DH doesn't care one way or the other how many machines I have. We have an air conditioned out building that houses them, so they are no problem there. I've found them to be a burden, though. Each one has some need. Some as small as cleaning and oiling and a bobbin winding tire. Some as large as my Pfaff 130, which has never been plugged in and needs some veneer repair. They have become a bunch of jobs that need doing. I put an old Viking out for the metal pickers who come by on big trash week. I've sent a couple to Leon. I set one on the curb with a note that it still works. But I still have 16 machines and about 12 cabinets.

It's hard to get rid of them though. I thought the Pfaff would be easy to let go of. I figured it needed to sew to sell it. So, I started reading up on the machine. Now I want to keep it. Then I decided to get rid of my duplicates. So, I have 2 201-2s and 2 15-91s. But, the ugliest 15-91 was my mother's, so I can't get rid of that one. And, on top of that, I almost bought a White Fair Lady this week.

Thinning the herd is not easy.

bkay
Those 15-91 are the best, I have two.