Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Thought I would post...  I just picked up a new machine >

Thought I would post... I just picked up a new machine

Thought I would post... I just picked up a new machine

Old 06-21-2019, 09:57 AM

Default Thought I would post... I just picked up a new machine

I am an enthusiast of older machines. I had and given away many vintage machines. Two of my older machines are now on display at The Henry Ford and Greenfield Village in Dearborn Mi. I gifted them many years ago when I ran out of space for them in my home. However it has not stopped me from seeking out older machines. Currently my oldest is an 1867 Singer and it sings like it's name! I then have a 1905 Singer, a 1921 White and several more machines some are barely vintage and others are newer and in current use. Today I picked up a 1947 Singer 16-66. It will need some restoration to the cabinet and it is quite scratch up. I have not tested the machine yet and because it is electric I want to be very careful there. The machine has not been turned on in more than 20 years. Be aware I am sure I will play with it before the day is over. First thing of course is a good oiling and cleaning. I have the perfect place for it in the guest room. For now it is in my living room for ease of working on it. It has all the original manuals, attachments & buttonholer. The only thing missing that I have seen so far is the box for the attachments. I doubt I will ever have as many antique or vintage machines as I had in the early days when 16 treadles lined the walls of my home. Sometimes I miss them and then there are times like this when I can again feel the excitement of adding a new family member.
Attached Thumbnails img_0618.jpg   img_0619.jpg  

Last edited by juliasb; 06-21-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
... Today I picked up a 1947 Singer 16-66.... It has all the original manuals, attachments & buttonholer. ... times like this when I can again feel the excitement of adding a new family member.
Congratulations, it is nice when one can be excited with a new 'old' machine.

That machine looks like a "66-18" to me. I have both a 66-16 and a 66-18. The manual may be a 66-16 which will work for the most part as they are very similar. The differences that I know of are the finish (16 is smooth with decals on the bed, 18 is crinkle finish with minimum decals), the light (16-shade is the length of the bulb, 18- spot light style with lens at end of bulb) and the tension dial (16 is numbered, 18 is unnumbered).

By any chance is the buttonholer the older style without templates? My 1947 66-16 came with the old style
buttonholer number 121795.

Have fun with your "new" family member.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:31 PM

I have the 66-18, I have it set up as my treadle. I don't think it had even been used before it was gifted to me by Dick Wrightman, the founder of Treadleon. Love it.