Thrill of the Hunt

Old 10-14-2012, 12:00 PM

Default Thrill of the Hunt

My wife and I enjoy going to yardsales together on Saturday mornings in our small town and the small towns around us. We are seldom looking for anything particular (except sewing machines and parts, of course), and tend to enjoy driving through the neighborhoods that we don’t get to see while going to and from work just about as much as we enjoy the sales.

It’s been a long dry spell as far as sewing machines are concerned, and I had been getting skunked on a regular basis. This weekend, we struck-out in our town again, but there was one yardsale in a small neighboring town listed, so we went. Upon arrival, an Antique Dealer friend from another small neighboring town was just leaving (he likes antique furniture), and invited us to come to his shop to see what new things he’d got in since our last visit. After buying the only sewing item at the sale (a toy “Dressmaker II” for $2 so I wouldn’t get skunked yet again), we almost went home, but headed on over to his shop instead. He hadn’t mentioned anything about what his new items were, but it had been a while since we’d been over that way.

To make a long story short, he had come up with a bunch of sewing machines that I hadn’t seen, and wanted to get rid of some others that I had seen earlier. He made me an excellent offer to take 12 of them, including a machine that I’ve had on my Want List for a while, a Singer Centennial Model 66-18, if I’d take all twelve of them for one low price. We hauled 10 machines and 2 of the four cabinets home with us, and I’ll go back this week for the rest.

Of course, the clean black 221-1 in its original case with all of the trimmings, the nice tan 301A in its original model 269 case with most of the trimmings, the 15-91 in a case, and the three model 15 clones in cabinets and case all helped “sweeten the pot” on the deal. All but two of the other seven machines are also fairly clean, but some are missing parts, and just not very popular models. One of the infamous Necchi Lydia machines (plastic cam stack that is prone to cracking) is in the mix.

If we hadn’t got skunked in our town, we probably wouldn’t have gone to that single out-of-town yardsale, or bumped into our Antique Shop friend. And then to top it off, we just about didn’t go to see what he had, thinking that it was probably furniture. That’s the thrill of the hunt. You never know what you’re going to find, or where you’re going to find it.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine500_0b.jpg  
Old 10-14-2012, 12:48 PM

Cool story! Thank you for making me feel more normal after we went out and picked up 6 machines in one day last weekend.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:50 PM

Tell me-do you collect them just to collect them or do you refurbish them and sell them? I have 2 machines right now myself but one is strictly as a backup if the other one goes on the fritz
Old 10-14-2012, 12:54 PM

WOW - you just never know what you will find just around the corner! Now, I understand why men (mostly) love to go hunting (for animals) - they never know what they will find just around the corner!
Old 10-14-2012, 04:31 PM

Wow, you guys make me soo happy!! I usually only buy one sewing machine at a time. My family thinks I'm crazy, but they love me anyway!
Old 10-14-2012, 05:26 PM

Wow, jackpot.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by alfosa421 View Post
Tell me-do you collect them just to collect them or do you refurbish them and sell them?
All of the above. I buy, sell, trade, collect, and work on sewing machines. My Antique Shop friend that I mentioned knows this from being at auctions with me where I usually try to buy any sewing machines, fabric, or notions up for sale. I throw a curve at everyone once in a while, and try to buy up the pots & pans or household linens at Estate Auctions. I’ve found that pots and pans and linens are always in demand by temporary residents in about any community, and they will buy them at my occasional yardsales. Other than that, I search out sewing machines, the older; the better. I’ve got a modest collection of Singer Centennial machines, including a 15-91, 201-2, 31-15, and now a 66-18.

My wife and I have a collection of sewing machines in our home that numbers a little over 40 machines. Plus, I have over 300 parts machines stored at our work place and anywhere else that I can find to store them.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 10-14-2012, 07:21 PM

Beautiful! Awesome haul! I found four machines this weekend but didn't buy any of them. (not including the featherweight I bought Friday) I hesitated on the 3 cabinets due to price and condition. They were in a building that had no air conditioning and I'm not sure how long it sat there for. There was an old singer. I presume a 66 but she and her cabinet were in bad shape for 175. There was a white rotary and a vibrating shuttle but I don't recall the name. The vibrating shuttle was in beautiful condition. The drawers had the parts in there. But again I was worried about how they were being stored and they were asking 350 for that one. Everything was 50% off bot I just couldn't get over the worry and lack of knowledge I had about them. he's going out of buisness. So I hope I didn't pass on something I should have gotten. But it also wasn't love. Close though as the decals were in stunning shape. The cough machine was a crinkle clone I think. It's case was falling apart. And again without the knowledge of what parts it should have I left it behind in favor of two vintage kokeshi. I didn't really have any money for another machine at the moment nor technically the room. I told myself to be more picky abut future machine purchases. I want at least a straight stitch treadle like a singer 66. Maybe an electric clone.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:38 AM

I wasn’t familiar with the term “kokeshi”, but I understand it’s a type of doll? I’m also not sure what you mean when you say “cough machine was a crinkle clone”.

Before I go on: A backup note to the question from alfosa421: I don’t refurbish the woodwork on cabinets, although I’ve repaired a carrying case or two to get by. I thought I should clarify that. I’m not much of a wood worker.

I understand about passing up some machines. I need to start doing that myself. I’m out of room, and just keep crowding more in anyway. Thank goodness a few go out once in a while! Trouble is, the last one that went out was a trade for two coming in. I’ve got the collecting bug so bad that I scour Craig’s List in the areas around where our kids live, and have bought several through them. A short time ago I found one listed at a very nice price, and my daughter went and got a Singer 401A in her city. She’s been using one for some time, but now she has a spare I guess. At least until we get together again.

I just think it’s interesting where and how sewing machines turn up sometimes. I’ve heard other interesting stories from folks, about their hunt and subsequent “finds”, sometimes in unusual places or ways.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 10-15-2012, 09:10 AM

Sorry. My phone typos for me. I meant to say the OTHER machine I saw was a crinkle paint job and what I presume to be a singer clone? It may have been a white or national. But I have no idea. There were no markings that I could see and I didn't want to be crawling around on the floor when the shop attendant was rather snippy already.

Yes kokeshi are Japanese dolls carved from wood and hand painted. It is an old art/tradition. They are quite cute. (I collect dolls too. Well too much really)

But since I still live at home im trying very hard to be selective of my machines. My mother is not a huge sewer or else I'd have her as an excuse. Alas I have my W&G treadle and think I would like one more treadle. A straight stitch/lock stitch. So I'm waiting for the "one" but I really enjoy the hunt as well so I'm sure there will be a few stragglers. But I totally have no room for actual treadles. so old electrics and maybe hand cranks are all I have room for. As it is I have a necchi 544 which is a giant paper weight right now because it's broken. I listed it up on Craigslist for parts but no nibbles. I'd hate to donate it (since it doesn't work) or dump it. Not sure what I should do with it. I'd love to trade it for a tlc machine that does run. But I doubt anyone would be game for that. :P